need an overflow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sweetshannon

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi again! I am still shopping for a new tank. My question is...should I look for drilled or aquariums with an overflow? Is this the best tank for reef? I am aiming for a 40 to 50 gallon.
Thanks!:n00b:

You can either find one that's drilled or get a hang on back overflow. Either one will work, but drilled is the better way to go if its possible.

Yes. If you get a tank the is reef ready, it will be pre-drilled, which then means you can install an overflow system on it. But remember that you dont always need an aquarium that is acrylic or special glass to make an overflow system. They have such things called overflow boxes which hang on the back of the tank and act as an overflow system. They are great for tanks in which you cant drill. Tanks that are tempered glass cant be drilled, so if you want to drill the tank, then watch out for tempered glass aquariums. But like i said, if your looking for a tank that is overflow capable, then you would be looking for "reef ready" tanks.

Oh....Because with my freshwater tank, I never needed an overlow or a sump. Is this the best way to go? Will it make for easier or better filtration? I am wondering if it is necessary. I am looking at Oceanic tanks with overflows, and wondering i this is a wise purchase? Or will I be just as well off without that.

The sump is for increasing water volume and hiding equipment. I say they are better than any other kind of filter. You can go and buy an expensive pre-drilled tank new, with everything ready to go. or you could buy a basic tank and drill it yourself. Just make sure its not tempered.

Edit: A lot of people say the hang on back overflows will lose siphon in case of power outage. As long as you are using a pump that has enough flow to keep the bubbles from accumulating, you should be totally fine. Also its important to make sure the outer box is level. If you do go for the hang on back type, I recommend Eshopps simply because they make a solid product.

Yeah, also, using sumps means for better water quality because now you have more water flowing through the tank. Also, to hide equipment like partypalooza said, also, you can control the water in the tank which mean, the water in the main tank will never go down, it will in the sump. So you can just do your water top-offs and water changes all in the sump. It just makes life alot easier. It is not necessary, but is recommended in most situations.

Yeah, also, using sumps means for better water quality because now you have more water flowing through the tank. Also, to hide equipment like partypalooza said, also, you can control the water in the tank which mean, the water in the main tank will never go down, it will in the sump. So you can just do your water top-offs and water changes all in the sump. It just makes life alot easier. It is not necessary, but is recommended in most situations.

Adding to that, you don't have to go and buy a commercially made sump, you could always make your own.

Oh yeah. DIY for the win! Sumps are pretty easy to make as well. All you need is a good sized rubbermaid bucket depending on the size of your main tank, and then a couple of plexiglass or acrylic baffles. And you've got yourself a DIY sump! Actually, i would say that DIY sumps are the easiest DIY's out there for SW. Anyone agree?

Oh yeah. DIY for the win! Sumps are pretty easy to make as well. All you need is a good sized rubbermaid bucket depending on the size of your main tank, and then a couple of plexiglass or acrylic baffles. And you've got yourself a DIY sump! Actually, i would say that DIY sumps are the easiest DIY's out there for SW. Anyone agree?

I second that motion! XD

I picked up a 20G long for 20 bucks, it makes a great sump.

Yep. And in the words of thominil, "whatever the biggest size tank can fit under your main tank as a sump, buy it!" lol! So true.

LOL I can see someone saying "I have a 100G sump for my 100G reef. Look! They stack on top of each other quite well!"

I am the furthest thing from a DIY girl you will ever find. Even the most simple instructions are greek to me..... My little mind doesn't work that way. I would much rather pay, or pay someone build one and get it running. Anyone?

Hey thats ok, im not a very handy kid either. The farthest i've gone was reinforcing a stand lol. But hey, whatever you think you can do, i would go for it. But if you cant, then buying pre-made sumps is always an option. Places like premiumaquatics.com and aquacave.com have prebuilt sumps for pretty good prices. If you aren't very handy or you dont feel like building one yourself, you will find your answers on one of those sites that sell premade sumps. Good luck on your search!

I am the furthest thing from a DIY girl you will ever find. Even the most simple instructions are greek to me..... My little mind doesn't work that way. I would much rather pay, or pay someone build one and get it running. Anyone?

LOL pick me!

But in all reality, the best way to learn is to do. If you make it yourself then you learn in the process and that's a good thing. Why pay for an empty plastic box when you can just pick one up at walmart for like 5 bucks or make one out of something you already have?

As for me, if its DIY-able, I'm in!

thanks for all your help! I am just afraid of any leaks, etc. if I screw it up. Maybe I will look into the premade ones....and see what I think I can do.

Back
Top Bottom