Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-10-2009, 07:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to sweetshannon
need an overflow?

Hi again! I am still shopping for a new tank. My question is...should I look for drilled or aquariums with an overflow? Is this the best tank for reef? I am aiming for a 40 to 50 gallon.
Thanks!

Old 08-10-2009, 07:23 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to partypalooza5 Send a message via Yahoo to partypalooza5
You can either find one that's drilled or get a hang on back overflow. Either one will work, but drilled is the better way to go if its possible.

partypalooza5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:23 PM   #3
is back to save the day!

Yes. If you get a tank the is reef ready, it will be pre-drilled, which then means you can install an overflow system on it. But remember that you dont always need an aquarium that is acrylic or special glass to make an overflow system. They have such things called overflow boxes which hang on the back of the tank and act as an overflow system. They are great for tanks in which you cant drill. Tanks that are tempered glass cant be drilled, so if you want to drill the tank, then watch out for tempered glass aquariums. But like i said, if your looking for a tank that is overflow capable, then you would be looking for "reef ready" tanks.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:27 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Oh....Because with my freshwater tank, I never needed an overlow or a sump. Is this the best way to go? Will it make for easier or better filtration? I am wondering if it is necessary. I am looking at Oceanic tanks with overflows, and wondering i this is a wise purchase? Or will I be just as well off without that.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:47 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to partypalooza5 Send a message via Yahoo to partypalooza5
The sump is for increasing water volume and hiding equipment. I say they are better than any other kind of filter. You can go and buy an expensive pre-drilled tank new, with everything ready to go. or you could buy a basic tank and drill it yourself. Just make sure its not tempered.

Edit: A lot of people say the hang on back overflows will lose siphon in case of power outage. As long as you are using a pump that has enough flow to keep the bubbles from accumulating, you should be totally fine. Also its important to make sure the outer box is level. If you do go for the hang on back type, I recommend Eshopps simply because they make a solid product.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:56 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

thanks so much! I think I will just buy the tank with the overflow. Is an overflow tank the same as a drilled tank? Do they do the same thing? I will looking at this....

http://www.oceanicsystems.com/products/tech-series.php
Old 08-10-2009, 07:56 PM   #7
is back to save the day!

Yeah, also, using sumps means for better water quality because now you have more water flowing through the tank. Also, to hide equipment like partypalooza said, also, you can control the water in the tank which mean, the water in the main tank will never go down, it will in the sump. So you can just do your water top-offs and water changes all in the sump. It just makes life alot easier. It is not necessary, but is recommended in most situations.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:01 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

thanks so much!
Old 08-10-2009, 08:02 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by linksyz View Post
Yeah, also, using sumps means for better water quality because now you have more water flowing through the tank. Also, to hide equipment like partypalooza said, also, you can control the water in the tank which mean, the water in the main tank will never go down, it will in the sump. So you can just do your water top-offs and water changes all in the sump. It just makes life alot easier. It is not necessary, but is recommended in most situations.
Adding to that, you don't have to go and buy a commercially made sump, you could always make your own.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:07 PM   #10
is back to save the day!

Oh yeah. DIY for the win! Sumps are pretty easy to make as well. All you need is a good sized rubbermaid bucket depending on the size of your main tank, and then a couple of plexiglass or acrylic baffles. And you've got yourself a DIY sump! Actually, i would say that DIY sumps are the easiest DIY's out there for SW. Anyone agree?

Tags
flow, overflow

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com