Need Critique on first SW Setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sevise

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've been reading as much as possible over the past month. Before I start buying anything I thought it would be best to get a critique to save me a problem down the road. The tank will be placed in my home office, on a hadrwood floor. I plan on having a friend thats an electrician add a dedicated(20A) GFI protected circuit for the tank. Eventually I'd like to go reef but until I get the hang of it FOWLR will be fine.

Equipment.
120Gal 48x24x24 with dual overflows
DIY Stand and Canopy
Aqua C EV180 w/ a Mag7
Sump, not sure yet, return pump will be Mag9.5(750gph @6ft) Got 2 instead of 1
Fuge with Chaetomorph
4 Maxi-Jet 1200 Powerheads(2x295gph)
Lighting, 2x250W 10000K & 2-T5 Actinic Bulbs

Substrate.
80lbs of keys and 80lbs of gulf from liverocks.com
3" dsb mostly of homedepot(southdown) sand, fortified with some starter or booster ls.

Livestock.
2 True Percs
1 Yellow Watchman Goby
5 B/G Chromis
2 Banggai Cardinalfish
Pistol Shrimp(for the Goby)
2 Peppermint Shrimp
Cleanup Crew
Hitchhikers.

Total it will be about 1380gph turnover and 692watts of lights 30" of grown fish. I'd greatly appreciate any help you guys can provide. Thankyou in advance.

Edited equipment.

Wow, you have done some research. :mrgreen: , I'm not sure on the skimmer but IMO everything else looks good. I just have no exp. with that skimmer.

that looks like a fine setup, are the 2x250 watt light MH's or just pc's (i an thinking MH's)

will one over flow go to the fuge and the other the sump, what do you returns look like?

instead of perculas may i suggest ocellaris clowns practically the same ( only reason being tank raised perc cost more than occelaris, IMO ocellaris little bit mroe hardy for a begginer)
Make sure the clowns are tank raised, makes it easier on them and you

would love to see pictures when setup :D

also may i reccomend this book "clownfishes" by: joyce wilkerson, (i reccomend this alot its reall good fro clown keeping gives you teh 411 on all clown fish species)

I'd add another PH or 2. your tank is going to look great! post up some pics when
you have it set up.
Good Luck.

I just discovered electronic control systems for the tank. I'm trying to find out more about them now. Its looks as if I can use one to cycle through many power heads to create a more chaotic flow.

I still have to wait a few more weeks before I can start to set it up. I just got a promotion at work and since there wasn't anyone to cover my old job I've been working both the old and new jobs which equates to very long nights at work. I'm hoping by mid-september I'll be in back to 8 hours days, and can start ordering all this stuff.

Thanks for all the help so far.

Equipment.
120Gal 48x24x24 with dual overflows
DIY Stand and Canopy
Berlin Classic w/ Rio 2500HP pump
Sump, not sure yet, return pump will be Mag9.5(750gph @6ft)
Fuge stocked with Chaetomorph, 20-30+gal depending on space, return will be a Mag3(180 @6ft)
2 Maxi-Jet 1200 Powerheads(2x295gph)
Lighting, 2x250W 6500K & 2-96W Actinic Bulbs

Substrate.
80lbs of keys and 80lbs of gulf from liverocks.com
3" dsb mostly of homedepot(southdown) sand, fortified with some starter or booster ls.

Livestock.
2 True Percs
1 Yellow Watchman Goby
5 B/G Chromis
2 Banggai Cardinalfish
Pistol Shrimp(for the Goby)
2 Peppermint Shrimp
Cleanup Crew
Hitchhikers.

Use a different pump other than a RIO on your skimmer. I would go with a Mag 12 for the sump return or have two Mag 9.5s one going to a return on the left and one going to a return on the right. If a single pump is yoused a SQWD can be used to provide alternating current.

The rest looks good.

careful with that hardwood floor, spills are inevitable in saltwater. if it were me i would put some sort of plastic mat underneath the tank and on the surrounding area. it will save you a lot of resanding/restaining headache.

i also vote for the occellaris clowns vs the percs, percs are way too shy and not as hardy as the occs.

fishfreek said:
Use a different pump other than a RIO on your skimmer. I would go with a Mag 12 for the sump return or have two Mag 9.5s one going to a return on the left and one going to a return on the right. If a single pump is yoused a SQWD can be used to provide alternating current.

Will the a 20-30gal fuge(with chaetomorph) be OK with 750gph return? I was planning on the Mag3 only because I thought an algae fuge needed less flow.

When I order the LR, should I get it in stages or all at once? Chances are I'll be the only one to unpack, dip, and set it up.

On the electronic control system you mentioned... take a look at the Red Sea Wavemaster Pro. I think that's what your looking for. With the 3rd PH recommended above by El Diablo, it'd make the Wavemaster work great for your corals too. Marine Depot, shipped for abut $125.

You may want to add more LR to your tank. Why not another 40 lbs of Base Rock from LiveRocks.com?

also, (is this possible?) You seem to be a bit understocked on fish. Consider perhaps a tang or two, or three? possibly a couple of angels? a few more percs?

For a control system I was looking for something to monitor the PH, and temp as well.

I thought my fishlist was kinda overstocked, I thought the rule was 1" of fish per 5 gallons. So for a 120gal tank I have room for 24" of fish. The current total for what I posted earlier was 30".

Well its starting to come together. The stand is done. The overflows are installed. I have 4 maxi-jet 1200s in temporary positions.

The Mag7 will drive the Aqua EV 180 skimmer while the pair of Mag9s will be return pumps.
Picture001.jpg

I had no clue arrange the powerheads and return lines. I aimed the return lines so they will graze over the sides and bounce off the front. I'm afraid the current may push sand out of the front corners. 3 of the powerheads are aimed to agitate the the surface. The forth I put center tank mid height, Once I get the LR I'm hoping to have a large cave in this area and move water from the rear of the tank forward.
Picture004.jpg

I have a 30Gal for my sump. I'm hoping to have it plumbed and ready so when my RO/DI unit arrives Monday I can start a-fillin-er-up.

Yeah, Nevermind, I guess I didn't add that up right.

Your fish list looks good. allthough I don't know a thing about Chromis. Are they peaceful? your Banghai Cardnial could get stressed out otherwise.

You wont need to have 3 PH agitating the surface. One large one will probibly be fine. I have my Magnum 350 agitating the surface and it sure makes waves! (at aprox. 275 GPH) Aim a couple of your powerheads at each other to create turbulance. Fish like two things. Lots of waterflow, and Lots of turbulance. I hear one of the more important things to worry about is eliminating dead zones in your water. You will get a better Idea of what needs pointed where once you get it filled up and water starts flowing!!!

Back
Top Bottom