My water has been cycling for three weeks now. To start it off I put in one shrimp. At that time I had no live rock. Before too long my ammonia spiked all the way up to 8 ppm
and has been there for about one and a half weeks. Yesterday I decided to add a piece of live rock in to push the process along. Upon testing today I discovered that my ammonia was still at 8 ppm
but I also noticed Nitrite for the first time which is at .25 ppm
. Shouldn't I have seen the ammonia decrease before seeing the nitrite? What am I doing wrong? Should I take the shrimp out? I just want to make sure this thing is done rifht. Thanks!