Need equipment recommendations please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joshuha

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, my first post somehow was eaten by the spellchecker so this one will be a lot shorter.

Background:
-Been researching for about a month on SW setup.
-Will be 55 gallons FOWLR with a DSB.
-Have not planned out fishies yet but have plenty of time before I can put them in anyways.

Questions:
-How much sand should I buy for a 55, I know enough for 3-4" but about how many pounds is that?
-If I can't find the Southdown/Old Castle stuff at HD/Lowes am I forced to buy the expensive stuff from a LFS? Can I use a silica base sand (Most people say no but have read a few posts from people here who have used it with no problem?)
-Protien skimmer; will a AquaC Remora with the 1200 Maxis suffice? I could go for the AquaC Remora Pro with the mag3 but does the cost difference justify the performance increase?
-Powerheads(circulation), I heard good things about the Maxijet 1200s. Would 2 of these be good for a 55g tank?
-Liverock; I was thinking about getting 50# to start with and adding another 25-30# when I can afford it. Will the 50# plus the DSB be good enough filtration if I have a light bioload of mostly a clean-up crew and just a few fish?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

You'll probably want 2lbs of sand per gallon...so say 100lbs as a rough, low end estimate.
I couldn't get cheap sand..but I wanted to do everything right, so I spent the cash on argamax from my LFS. In the long run, this was pretty cheap compared to LR and lighting costs :)
No idea on the skimmer.
Maxijets are good powerheads. I have 2 900's in my 40gallon tank. 1200's sound about right for a 55gallon.
For LR, 1lb per gallon is the 'minimum' i see recommended, and it's what I started with. If you start with a light bio load, it'll be enough.
the thing to consider is if you buy more, it'll probably need to be cured in a separate tank so you don't cause a mini-cycle. If you buy from liverocks.com the curing time is minimal to none...and their rock is the shizzle!

-there is a calculator at the top of the page, but about 100 130 lbs.

-i would get the stuff from lfs. I have heard bad things about silica sand.

-good skimmer

-I also have maxi jets, but decided to go with 4 900s instead of 2 1200s.

-A little more lr would help, stock very lightly and keep good maintenance habbits. you would benefit from a sump/fuge

-what type of lighting do you have?

Good luck :wink:

darb2 said:
-i would get the stuff from lfs. I have heard bad things about silica sand.

-good skimmer

-what type of lighting do you have?

Good luck :wink:

When you say good skimmer is the $160 Remora gonna be good enough or will I need to splurge for the $225 Remora Pro?

As far as lighting my tank came with 2 smaller hoods for each half that have a strip for flourescent bulbs. Lighting is another thing I am not sure about yet but heard that with FOWLR its not a huge thing to worry about. I will probably get some 50/50 bulbs and leave it at that for now. Eventually I will go with PC lights but don't want to drop the money on them quite yet.

Fwiw - we use a remora (not the pro) on our 125 and i am certain it is not being over worked, so i would go with that. If you can, get the PC at the earliest opportunity, they make a huge difference!

Ouch

That rather hurt my chances of getting a reef aquarium - do you have to have a skimmer - it sounds expensive, I dont have that kind of money!

If you go with a Aqua C skimmer the pro may be a wise choice. The standard will skim it OK but is near its limits. You could use it though just keep up on your water changes!

I would go with the Coralife Aqualights either with moonlights or with out there is a $60 for the moonlights.

You cannot go wrong with maxi jet powerheads and 1200's is what i would recomend.

I would actually stick to a 1-2" sandbed. To many DSB crashes lately myself included to recomend that method. I currently have a 1" sand bed of aragamax and get the 0 nitrates the the DSB gives you.

How much LR depends on the type you pick. Dense rock like fiji probably will be about 50-75LBS.

Back
Top Bottom