Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-19-2011, 11:47 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
well, you could fill the tank back up with sw and try to keep them, but i'm thinking you may have a cycle ahead of you. at least a spike in ammonia. you might lose them anyway.

Old 02-19-2011, 11:52 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Yea I'm thinking scrap it all and start completely over. At least I didn't have to pay for the tank.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:08 PM   #13

Starting to think I would have been better off buying a new tank. Cleaning this thing is going to take forever the stuff stuck to the sides is half an inch thick. They did not take care of this thing at all. Going to have to put in new piping and everything.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:07 PM   #14

What's the best way to clean this tank it's kicking my but, can't figure out how to get all the sand and water out.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:30 PM   #15

Well got all the water and sand out and used up two scrapers, and still not done, this bytes. Wish there was an easier way.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:27 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

there isn't an easier way, vinegar and water is the best bet. btw, i thought it was given to you? a new 125 with stand and canopy is probably a thousand dollars or so. would you accept a thousand dollars cash to go to someone's house and scrape some coralline algae from their glass?
Old 02-19-2011, 09:15 PM   #17

Yea that's true just didn't get the canopy have a home made one but have to get the lights to go in it.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:31 PM   #18

Ok got tank clean after a day of scraping and washing w/the vinegar and water mix of about 16:1 it took all day, now for the sump system the pictures are father back in the thread. What do I do with the rocks and things in the sump, clean or trash? And what is the best setup for the sump? I am completely new to the whole saltwater aquarium, I have had a 10 gal tropical tank for about 2 years now but that is as far as my knowledge goes, that tank is at the point where I don't have to do anything to it but change the water about every 2 to 3 weeks.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:52 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

i would clean the sump out nicely, then shake that rock rubble off in some salt water to get the dirt out of it, then put it back in the sump. i would buy a protein skimmer to fit in that sump that is rated for 1.5 to 2 x your total tank volume and put it in that spot where you had that light hanging in it in the pics.
can you measure that section so that we know what skimmer will fit?
Old 02-19-2011, 11:04 PM   #20

Will post measurements tomorrow. I don't even know where to get this stuff.

Tags
start, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com