Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-14-2014, 12:38 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Need help

65 gal with 20 gal sump filter 405 fluval sk skimmer how many inches of fish??? I have 3 clowns 2 plennys 3 damsels 2 mandarins all doing fine wanna give away the damsels and plennys can I get some fire fish after or no....?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Old 08-14-2014, 02:41 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The Blennies and the damsels aren't you biggest problem, you should only have 2 clowns in this size tank and definitely not 2 mandarins (shouldn't have any but I won't get in to that). IMHO you need to do a lot of research before adding anything to this tank. There really is no inch per gallon rule that we follow, but on this size tank I'd say look for 5-8 fish depending on size/bio load.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:21 PM   #3

Yea about the clowns there was some fighting 2 is mated and I noticed they attacked the other one which had his carpet anemone and just hid in it but now the pair seem to split up and the female is always in the anemone with the new clown and the male is just clowning in the other corner and about my mandarins I have a 45 that I grow corals in I can move em there but they seem fine

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 08-15-2014, 06:28 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Carpets don't host anything..... Are you serious with this?
Old 08-15-2014, 08:29 PM   #5

I can send pictures they won't leave the carpet always cleaning it

Old 08-15-2014, 11:14 PM   #6
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedsReefs10 View Post
Carpets don't host anything..... Are you serious with this?
There are also small shrimp and other such things what will have a relationship with carpet anemone...I want to say sexy shrimp are one along with glass anemone shrimp.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 12:01 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Not the big carpets though right? I thought it was just the maxi minis that hosted the sexies, although the op never specified so that may be what he has. Either way though neither will host a clown, at least not that I've ever heard of, they're more likely to eat it than allow it to host.
Old 08-16-2014, 03:06 PM   #8

Haddon's Carpet Anemone, Assorted (Stichodactyla haddoni)
And it's decent size about 5to 6 inches

Old 08-16-2014, 03:09 PM   #9

It's not eating the clowns they have been in it for weeks even when I feed it the clowns will stay in it and around it ...

Old 08-16-2014, 03:20 PM   #10
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

It is rare, but they will host...obviously. It is pretty cool when it happens. Can you take a picture for us? And as for the glass anemone shrimp, they cover themselves with mucus from the anemone so they don't get consumed...they have to hide when they molt and re-coat themselves.
BUT, as for the original question at hand, I wouldn't add any other fish. One of your clowns will most likely be bullied to death when they can't find enough space to have their own territory in the tank.
I'm also concerned about those mandarins. They are hard to care for with their pod diets. I spent a ton of cash each month pouring pods into my tank to keep one alive. Even then it only lasted over a year before passing away.
The good thing is that a 65 is a great tank. Returning a clown and mandarins would open up the possibility of other neat fish, like a firefish or a small wrasse.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com