Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-01-2019, 12:27 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to abrahamavelar Send a message via Yahoo to abrahamavelar
Need help!!!

Hello, I'm getting back into the hobby after 7 or 8 years of not having any fish. Im getting the aquatop Recife eco 40 aquarium, but I want to start the cycle from scratch, taking my time to get it down perfectly.
My issue is that I do not have an rodi unit and I don't have but a 5 gallon jug to fill up with salt water. The guy at one lfs told me to cycle I could use tap water and since i will still be doing water changes I could then add rodi instead of the tap also with each too off, but the. I was thinking could I use distill water or the one they sell at Walmart that you refill your own jug. I have one of those machines at the store that's 2 min from my house I would not mind do 20 trips there help please.

Old 07-01-2019, 12:54 AM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Good morning.

It is usually best to start with ro/di. This way you have the best starting point and won't have to continue to do water changes to get the parameters in line with whatever is added from your tap or distilled water. I had to run distilled for some time in my prior reef and I always had algae issues. With the money I spent I could have just ran a ro/di unit.

Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 08:37 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to abrahamavelar Send a message via Yahoo to abrahamavelar
Is there any other way to get rodi water besides the lfs or do they have portable rodi units or can you get rodi water from the water store etc
Old 07-01-2019, 08:35 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Why not just buy a few more 5 gallon buckets?

You can also purchase your own rodi unit and make your own water. Check out bulk reef supply, they have great units for great prices.
Old 07-01-2019, 11:06 PM   #5
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Besides BRS, which make nice units, I am currently running this unit and really like it.
https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/4-...iABEgKSMvD_BwE

Having your own ro/di unit saves you a lot of time and money.
Old 07-02-2019, 07:42 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

The issue is landlord won't allow me to install an rodi so I got one of the portable units from chewy.com n it's gonna take atleast till the 12th to get here n I just wanted to get started now but if I have to wait, I got 3 5 gallon jugs already I'mma get 2 more, issue is that's all it fits in my car
Old 07-02-2019, 01:14 PM   #7
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Distilled will help get things started and would be best if that is the case, but I'd wait until the ro/di unit arrives to start filling the system for best results.
Old 07-02-2019, 03:14 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah I've decided to do that instead of rushing it

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com