Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-11-2011, 09:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Need help 46 gallon tank

HEy this is my first saltwater tank I purchased it with live rock and a brittle starfish I took half of the water and filled it up with saltwater from my local fish aquarium. will I have to cycle it still and what should I worry about ? it came with about 20 pounds of live rock and 10 -15 of base rock I see copod look alikes swimming and a little brittle worm I think going from a piece of rock to another is that bad? it came with a cheap skimmer which the pump broke. what would be a good skimmer to get? I may end up upgrading to a 90 gallon 1 day . I also have some snails and 3 turbo snails and a couple of hermits. What would be the best way to set up live rock in the tank. Some live rock looks like it may have baby feather dusters and zothaids, when would I be able to add fish and I would like a name of all the water test I should run weekly. I wanna make this a reef with about 4 or 5 fish tops, or can I have more in my 46 gallon tank.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1896321252.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	47329

Name:	image-188862406.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	47330

Name:	image-4067822225.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	47331

Name:	image-2753509304.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	47332

any advice would be great and thanks to all. Also the skimmer must be a hang on skimmer

Old 08-11-2011, 09:36 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Hey he said he had this setup for about a year

Old 08-11-2011, 09:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would say ur cycled.. to answer first question .. have you check you parameters? What are they?
Old 08-11-2011, 09:43 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

7.4 ph
.1-0 ppm ammonia
0 nitrite
0-.2 nitrate

I threw in a supplement today to raise ph to 8.3 safely. what else should I be checking and what's the beat parameters for a reef. if u can plz answer all the questions I no it's alot but it would really help me
Old 08-11-2011, 09:49 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecarvalho774
7.4 ph
.1-0 ppm ammonia
0 nitrite
0-.2 nitrate

I threw in a supplement today to raise ph to 8.3 safely. what else should I be checking and what's the beat parameters for a reef. if u can plz answer all the questions I no it's alot but it would really help me
You need 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and lower the 10 nitrate ( some will say lower) with the ammonia looks like ur having a mini cycle. Calcium above 450 phosphate at 0 ph at 8.3 salt for now with no coral 1023 would be ideal. Never dose anything you can't check for all trace elements required for coral should be in your salt mix.. I prefer instant ocean.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:03 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I test the ph ammonia Nitrite and nitrate what else should I be checking ?? And what's my best levels for them in a reef tank ?? And also what is a great hang on skimmer for a 46 I might upgrade eventually to a 92 corner tank ?? And how should I set the rocks in my tank
Old 08-11-2011, 11:35 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

HEy this is my first saltwater tank I purchased it with live rock and a brittle starfish I took half of the water and filled it up with saltwater from my local fish aquarium. will I have to cycle it still and what should I worry about ? it came with about 20 pounds of live rock and 10 -15 of base rock I see copod look alikes swimming and a little brittle worm I think going from a piece of rock to another is that bad? it came with a cheap skimmer which the pump broke. what would be a good skimmer to get? I may end up upgrading to a 90 gallon 1 day . I also have some snails and 3 turbo snails and a couple of hermits. What would be the best way to set up live rock in the tank. Some live rock looks like it may have baby feather dusters and zothaids, when would I be able to add fish and I would like a name of all the water test I should run weekly. I wanna make this a reef with about 4 or 5 fish tops, or can I have more in my 46 gallon tank.

any advice would be great and thanks to all. Also the skimmer must be a hang on skimmer
Old 08-12-2011, 01:05 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Does ne1 wanna help HEy this is my first saltwater tank I purchased it with live rock and a brittle starfish I took half of the water and filled it up with saltwater from my local fish aquarium. will I have to cycle it still and what should I worry about ? it came with about 20 pounds of live rock and 10 -15 of base rock I see copod look alikes swimming and a little brittle worm I think going from a piece of rock to another is that bad? it came with a cheap skimmer which the pump broke. what would be a good skimmer to get? I may end up upgrading to a 90 gallon 1 day . I also have some snails and 3 turbo snails and a couple of hermits. What would be the best way to set up live rock in the tank. Some live rock looks like it may have baby feather dusters and zothaids, when would I be able to add fish and I would like a name of all the water test I should run weekly. I wanna make this a reef with about 4 or 5 fish tops, or can I have more in my 46 gallon tank.

Tags
46 gallon, 6 gallon, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com