Need help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ternaldo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys, It seems I have decided that I am going with a reef aquarium (100-150 gal as stated by my earlier post).

In it I have decided to put peaceful fish, including:
2 Ocellaris clownfish
1 royal gramma basslet
1 spotted mandarin
1 green mandarin
1 yellowhead jawfish
1 firefish
1 court jester goby
1 yellow hawaiian tang
1 catalina goby
1 dragon sea moth
1 electric blue hermit crab
perhaps a couple of sea stars as well

Here's my questions to you:

1-Is this a good lineup of fish?

2-I would also like to have more specific information and details regarding the sea moth.

3-Clownfish-wise I was considering putting in for anemone the bulb anemone. Is this a good idea, also is it alright if I put in two? Since they will most likely be the only anenome I'll be putting in along with the coral.

4-What are some good corals that I should be looking at to go along with the fish?

5-I was also looking at Fu Manchu lionfish/ Fuzzy dwarf lionfish and leaf fish( part of the scorpion fish family, not the fresh water fish). I would also like to know if those can be compatible/able to substitute for the sea moth with the rest of the fish/coral?

6-I would also like to know about clams, please?

7-On a second thought, I was also looking up Horseface Blennies. Would they be also alright, and I'd also like some more information concerning those fish.

8-My girlfriend wants sea horses and pipe fish...would they happen to fit within my fish choices? (preferibly seahorses)

9-If you have any suggestions for other fish please list them, I would love to hear from you guys please

If you have any other suggestions, I'd really appreciate the help, however I'd like reason also to back up your claims. Sorry about all the different questions, but awnsering them could make a difference for someone who really wants to get into the hobbie Thanks for the help you guys, this means a lot to me =)

*yay!*

1. No. Get a mated pair of the same kind of mandarin after ATLEAST 6 months of having your tank established. Also you will need to stock heavy with rock. 150 lbs would be suitable.

2. I would drop the sea moth idea all together. They are for the more advanced aquarist.

3. you can put in 2 of the same specie of clown. Make sure you get 2 SMALL ones so they can mate up. For an anemone, 3 month or longer matured tank. In addition, metal halide lighting of 4 watts per gallon is what I would recommend. And yes it is a great idea if you have the proper lighting.

4. If you plan on having clams and anemones, you will need MH lighting. You could have any corals you want for the most part, if you are willing to spend the money for the lighting.

5. Lions will eat any fish that will fit in their mouths. So in other words, its a bad idea.

6. Clams need intense lighting and flow. Question 3 applys to question 6.

7.http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=1427
information regarding horse face blenny.

8. Sea horses and pipe fish belong in specie only tanks. They generally do not do well even given good conditions in the home aquarium.

9. For a 100-150 gallon tank I would set it up with something like this

2 true percula clowns
1 yellow tang
1 flame angel
1 lawnmower, or bicolor blenny
1 blue tang

Obviously this list would change a bit, if you went with a 100 gallon opposed to a 150 gallon

Inverts I would also include:

100 snails
50 hermits
3 serpent stars
1 sand sifting star
3 cleaner shrimp

Other inverts to consider:

tiger tail cuke
urchins
bubble tip anemone

I won't touch on corals but you should be able to find every answer you asked plus A LOT more if you do some research and reading.

1 spotted mandarin
1 green mandarin
Of these 2 pick one and add it only after the tank has been up for a year and has a large pod population.

1 court jester goby
also only add after tank is well established.

1 catalina goby
Requires cool water which is not compatable with your other selections.

1 dragon sea moth
Needs a well established tank full of pods. Will compete with the mandarin for food. Choose between it or the mandarin.

Avoid the lionfish. Will put a heavy bio load on your tank.

Clams require intense light like MH and a established tank.. Depending on size may need supplimental feeding

My girlfriend wants sea horses and pipe fish
Not compatable with your fish. Need a species only tank and not recommended for the beginner

Wow, you just asked about five pages of question to answer...I will attempt to answer them briefly...
-Is this a good lineup of fish?
Not too bad. I would choose one manderine and hold off for about a year. they require very mature tanks due to their specific dietary needs. They gennerally will only eat pods and require a lot of LR (100 + lbs).
I would also like to have more specific information and details regarding the sea moth.
No personal experience
www.wetwebmedia.com
www.google.com
Clownfish-wise I was considering putting in for anemone the bulb anemone. Is this a good idea, also is it alright if I put in two? Since they will most likely be the only anenome I'll be putting in along with the coral.
First off, clowns do not require an anemone host in order to be happy in an aquarium. that said, a BTA is a good choice as far as hardiness goes. When provided with the proper water conditions and lighting they do pretty well. Again, they require a mature tank. I suggest waiting at least 8 months before adding one.
What are some good corals that I should be looking at to go along with the fish?
Good starter corals are mushrooms or zoos or yellow polyps.
I was also looking at Fu Manchu lionfish/ Fuzzy dwarf lionfish and leaf fish( part of the scorpion fish family, not the fresh water fish). I would also like to know if those can be compatible/able to substitute for the sea moth with the rest of the fish/coral?
Generally no. Corals may be okay but mobile inverts will become luch.
I would also like to know about clams, please?
Way too mush info to post here. In general...great water conditions and high intensity lighting, preferably MH.
My girlfriend wants sea horses and pipe fish...would they happen to fit within my fish choices? (preferibly seahorses)
Sorry, no. They are very delecate animals and do best in a species only tank.

1. not complely the 2 manderins would have to wait 6months to a year at least and if you want 2 plan on getting 100+ pounds of live rock to keep enough food for them, and the sea moth would be out thier more like sea horses and would not fit into a tank with the rest of the fish your looking at.
2. http://www.fisheries.nsw.gov.au/threatened_species/general/synganathids
try looking there for a little info
3.2 anemones is fine just make shure you get enough light for them and keep them apart from each other.
4.if its your first reef tank i think shrooms,leathers and softies are the easier types to start out with but i might be a little off there.
5.no the lion would or the leaf fish would eat every fish except the tang probably,i dont think they bother any corals though.
6.ive never had a clam but i think its simular to keeping most corals just with higher lighting needs and mabey more food.
7. http://www.petsolutions.com/404.asp...duct.asp_Q_pn_E_108800L_A_Horseface+Blenny_E_ should be a good choice
8. no but the sea moth would live with seahorses so now you have a reason to get 2 tanks :wink: oh wait you said girlfriend so your budget will never be alowed just stick to 1 tank for now.
9.i would recomend a 6 line wrasse its one of my favorite fish to watch. and as far as the blue hermit i hope your talking about the small 1" guys and not the 5" ones the big ones are very destructive but while small very good for a cleanup crew member just get 20 instead of 1 and try 20 or more snails and mabey some other goodies.

half the time i know the stuff about the mandirins (not the whole one or the other) but the whole set up thing. I have bought like 10 books and have read the 3 beginer books but beside that...its all good advice. Very common sense but I just wanted to check.

On the other hand I would really appreciate a nice bunch of fish to add. But thanks so much so far keep going please :D

Well with the Fu Manchu lionfish it only obtains a total lenght of 4'' so im assuming it wouldnt be able to fit alot of the fish in its mouth when they are grown. But whatever. I just need advice to get into the door. I know all about the products and the equiptment its just the fish I need to know about. I have like 10 books and I have read the first 3 beginer ones, so I am doing my research.

A 4" lion will still be able to eat a clown. Especially the male if you had a pair. Secondly, you will not be able to have any shrimp at all. I personally love the shrimp, they add an enjoyable element to the home aquarium, not to mention the unique personalities shrimp such as the skunk cleaners, cbs, and blood shrimp have. Which is probably why I have 5 shrimp and 4 different species in a 37 8O

Trust me, lions have bigger mouths than you think. Also, fu manchu lions aren't really reccommended because they are not very hardy and it can be a hassle to try and get them to eat.

Back
Top Bottom