Need Help - Any Info Appreciated - New Biocube 29G

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spm121860

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently purchased a used 29 gal biocube. I would like to make it a saltwater tank. I have never done this before so I have two issues. I'm not sure everything is with the tank that should be since it's used - I know the light ballast is missing - do I have to have that since the blue lights still work wo it? There is a regular aquarium heater and the two things that hook to the back wall that looks like what the air blows through and there is a clear plastic divided box that looks like maybe it's the filter. Is there anything missing?

Second - I just want a real plain tank with white sand on bottom. I hear you have to have live rock??????? I don't want anything in the tank that shows except for sand and fish. Can I fix it like that? Thanks for any help and I need a lot (lol).

Welcome to AA! Yes, you can have just sand and fish. That would be a fish only tank. Still have to cycle it, though. You might want to have some plants or decorations or something for the fish to hide in, though. Hiding helps them to feel safe and that gives them less stress. Stressed out fish=sick and/or dead fish. Live rock helps serve as a biological filter, so you'll definitely need a filter of some sort. Good luck!! SW is loads of fun!

Personally I'd add at least 2 nice pieces of live rock or base rock on each side of the tank about the same size. And you'll have the whole tank open. Just something for them to hide behind.

If a fish is startled or skittish it won't have a little place to go.

And I also think it would be pleasing to the eye.

But your tank and I would never knock anyone's ideas.

I wish you luck and look forward to pics.

The Con

You don't "have" to have LR, but so far it has been proven that it is the best way to break down chemicals that are harmful to fish.

Back
Top Bottom