Need Help Asap!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ralphiedoodle

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just added a Coral Beauty to my 55 gallon saltwater fishtank. Other fish include a percula clown, 3 green chromis, a scopus or brown tang. The scopus tang is bullying the coral beauty by backing into him. He will not leave him alone, is this normal? will it subside or is he going to kill my coral beauty. I need help ASAP if he is going to kill him I will have to break my tank down to catch him. Help please

Don't be overly concerned, Ralphie. That's very common behavior for some fish when a new fish is introduced into the tank that they see as their territory. I'd doubt that a tang will be too deadly when it comes to the introduction to of a fish that isn't too closely related like an angelfish. That's no guarantee that it isn't a big problem but I'd say that over the next few days, the aggression gets less and less and eventually, the tang will more or less leave your Coral Beauty pretty much alone. The key is that the Coral Beauty continues to take food that you put into the tank. However, if two days goes by without the Coral Beauty taking any food, you ought to consider catching it and bringing it back to the fish store. Keep us posted on this.

Last edited:
I always cut the lights out when there is aggression going on. Maybe for an hour or two. Some folks will move the rock around also. I`m sure they will be OK in a few days.

the agrresion is non stop should i take the tang out? He hasnt let up in an hour

Is the Coral Beauty able to take food when you some into the tank, Ralph? If it is, then leave it in the tank. Watch to see what happens tomorrow morning.

I just caught the tang and through him in my qt tank, I am not sure what to do from here. I caught him without even breaking the tank down!!!! I might just get rid of him, I don't think I could have fed the coral beauty, he was running non stop. Even with the lights out. Will I have the same trouble with a regal?

Well, I have to say that my hat's off to you for catching that tang so quickly. I would get rid of that tang since a 55's a bit too small for a tang anyway and since you have it already, it's the right time, I'd say. When you say "Regal" I guess you're talking about a Regal Tang (as opposed to a Regal Angelfish)...I'd say that it isn't a good choice for a 55-gallon tank for the same reason...they get very big. If you can, stay away from Tangs altogether because of that.

Well I must say first of all thanks so much Avi! I was about to have a heart attack because I want so badly for this tank to be smooth, I feel somewhat sad with the news of no tangs but I will have to postpone that until I have a bigger tank. Thanks again, do you have any advice for a beginner like myself?

Two bits of advice that go hand in hand...

* Research tank size requirements before buying anything, as well as how much "room" you have left in the tank for stock.

* No impulse buying.

I have a Yello Tang (about 3") in a 75 gallon. I know that he will get too big and I will have to move him to a bigger tank. I purchased a Potter's Angel and when I put him in the tank..my Tang went nuts chasing him, slapping him with his tail just like yours did. I turned the lights off for a complete night. The next day, the same thing until the Potter's bowed up on my Tang. Every since then, they are true buds. They play with each other, eat together and play follow the leader through the rocks. I also have a Bangaii Cardinal who likes to play with the Tang as well. Don't ask me why my fish are so weird but they are.

One piece of advice, when you are putting new fish in the tank, turn the lights off for at least 2 hours. If there is still aggression, move the rocks around a little bit so they have to reestablish territory. This typically eliminates aggression.

There is a good website out there Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums that has plenty of selection with minimum tank size requirements. You may want to check that site out for ideas on what you can house.

You can also do what I did and buy another tank and now you have 2. LOL.

I believe they would have been OK in a few days but since you already have him out then I would return him as stated above the tank really is too small for a 55 gallon tank.

Back
Top Bottom