Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-30-2008, 11:29 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Need Help Asap!!!

I just added a Coral Beauty to my 55 gallon saltwater fishtank. Other fish include a percula clown, 3 green chromis, a scopus or brown tang. The scopus tang is bullying the coral beauty by backing into him. He will not leave him alone, is this normal? will it subside or is he going to kill my coral beauty. I need help ASAP if he is going to kill him I will have to break my tank down to catch him. Help please

Old 04-30-2008, 11:59 PM   #2
Avi
Aquarium Advice Activist

Don't be overly concerned, Ralphie. That's very common behavior for some fish when a new fish is introduced into the tank that they see as their territory. I'd doubt that a tang will be too deadly when it comes to the introduction to of a fish that isn't too closely related like an angelfish. That's no guarantee that it isn't a big problem but I'd say that over the next few days, the aggression gets less and less and eventually, the tang will more or less leave your Coral Beauty pretty much alone. The key is that the Coral Beauty continues to take food that you put into the tank. However, if two days goes by without the Coral Beauty taking any food, you ought to consider catching it and bringing it back to the fish store. Keep us posted on this.

Old 05-01-2008, 12:06 AM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I always cut the lights out when there is aggression going on. Maybe for an hour or two. Some folks will move the rock around also. I`m sure they will be OK in a few days.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 12:22 AM   #4

the agrresion is non stop should i take the tang out? He hasnt let up in an hour
Old 05-01-2008, 12:23 AM   #5
Avi
Aquarium Advice Activist

Is the Coral Beauty able to take food when you some into the tank, Ralph? If it is, then leave it in the tank. Watch to see what happens tomorrow morning.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:27 AM   #6

I just caught the tang and through him in my qt tank, I am not sure what to do from here. I caught him without even breaking the tank down!!!! I might just get rid of him, I don't think I could have fed the coral beauty, he was running non stop. Even with the lights out. Will I have the same trouble with a regal?
Old 05-01-2008, 12:32 AM   #7
Avi
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well, I have to say that my hat's off to you for catching that tang so quickly. I would get rid of that tang since a 55's a bit too small for a tang anyway and since you have it already, it's the right time, I'd say. When you say "Regal" I guess you're talking about a Regal Tang (as opposed to a Regal Angelfish)...I'd say that it isn't a good choice for a 55-gallon tank for the same reason...they get very big. If you can, stay away from Tangs altogether because of that.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:36 AM   #8

Well I must say first of all thanks so much Avi! I was about to have a heart attack because I want so badly for this tank to be smooth, I feel somewhat sad with the news of no tangs but I will have to postpone that until I have a bigger tank. Thanks again, do you have any advice for a beginner like myself?
Old 05-01-2008, 01:49 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Two bits of advice that go hand in hand...

* Research tank size requirements before buying anything, as well as how much "room" you have left in the tank for stock.

* No impulse buying.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:04 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have a Yello Tang (about 3") in a 75 gallon. I know that he will get too big and I will have to move him to a bigger tank. I purchased a Potter's Angel and when I put him in the tank..my Tang went nuts chasing him, slapping him with his tail just like yours did. I turned the lights off for a complete night. The next day, the same thing until the Potter's bowed up on my Tang. Every since then, they are true buds. They play with each other, eat together and play follow the leader through the rocks. I also have a Bangaii Cardinal who likes to play with the Tang as well. Don't ask me why my fish are so weird but they are.

One piece of advice, when you are putting new fish in the tank, turn the lights off for at least 2 hours. If there is still aggression, move the rocks around a little bit so they have to reestablish territory. This typically eliminates aggression.

There is a good website out there Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums that has plenty of selection with minimum tank size requirements. You may want to check that site out for ideas on what you can house.

You can also do what I did and buy another tank and now you have 2. LOL.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com