Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-04-2012, 10:23 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

need help big time with filtration

Ok long story short, I lost my house to a fire. So now having to rebuild a new house im going to do one of my dream tanks. Problem is, is I know very little about salt water. Im surronded by friends who have salt but nothing this big. I will and am doing research until I do this which will be somwhere near spring. But I want advice. Im looking to do a 8' long by 4' wide by 30" tall. It will be an island in the living room. So viewable from both sides. So overflow in the center. It will house a couple of sharks prolly grey bamboo and some cartsharks, including a cortez ray and other various fish thst get along. My problem is filtration. Ive had salt before but only with a fx5 so I know nothing about sumps, protien skimmers, motors, pumps, uv sterilizers etc. That doesnt mean I cant learn. So my question is, is what would you put on this tank for filtration. Please list everything, name, sizes. So far someone has told me 2 150g sumps, rk2 protien skimmer. But I know theres more I need.

Thank you,
Steve

Old 11-04-2012, 10:46 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would put bigger sumps than that. Two skimmers (don't know which brand sorry), reactors (carbon, whatever else) and most importantly an algae scrubber. Especially with those fish. A scrubber dropped my nitrates from 160 to 20 and it holds. Still dropping. Any other questions? I would also skip mechanical filtration. Not really necessary and actually increases the breakdown of food and stuff unless cleaned daily or every other day. I will be happy to answer any questions as best as I can! Reef or FOWLR?

Old 11-04-2012, 10:52 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Fowlr, im trying to keep my monthly electric bill minimal. Ive got a friend with a 200g reef and with all the lights he has his bill is insane.

Would you put a bio tower in on my system?
Old 11-04-2012, 10:57 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

What is that? I haven't heard of them sorry...... Are those the tower of rocks that covers the overflow? That would look cool...... But really go with a big algae scrubber. Run opposite to daylights. They're amazing.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:24 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

No a degas tower. its a waste removal process.

Tags
big, filtration

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com