need help big time with filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bbenjamin21

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok long story short, I lost my house to a fire. So now having to rebuild a new house im going to do one of my dream tanks. Problem is, is I know very little about salt water. Im surronded by friends who have salt but nothing this big. I will and am doing research until I do this which will be somwhere near spring. But I want advice. Im looking to do a 8' long by 4' wide by 30" tall. It will be an island in the living room. So viewable from both sides. So overflow in the center. It will house a couple of sharks prolly grey bamboo and some cartsharks, including a cortez ray and other various fish thst get along. My problem is filtration. Ive had salt before but only with a fx5 so I know nothing about sumps, protien skimmers, motors, pumps, uv sterilizers etc. That doesnt mean I cant learn. So my question is, is what would you put on this tank for filtration. Please list everything, name, sizes. So far someone has told me 2 150g sumps, rk2 protien skimmer. But I know theres more I need.

Thank you,
Steve

I would put bigger sumps than that. Two skimmers (don't know which brand sorry), reactors (carbon, whatever else) and most importantly an algae scrubber. Especially with those fish. A scrubber dropped my nitrates from 160 to 20 and it holds. Still dropping. Any other questions? I would also skip mechanical filtration. Not really necessary and actually increases the breakdown of food and stuff unless cleaned daily or every other day. I will be happy to answer any questions as best as I can! Reef or FOWLR?

Fowlr, im trying to keep my monthly electric bill minimal. Ive got a friend with a 200g reef and with all the lights he has his bill is insane.

Would you put a bio tower in on my system?

What is that? I haven't heard of them sorry...... Are those the tower of rocks that covers the overflow? That would look cool...... But really go with a big algae scrubber. Run opposite to daylights. They're amazing.

Back
Top Bottom