Need Help building my 1st tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

monaro_gto

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have started my research for my first Saltwater tank and would appreciate some help. I was trying to work out whether I should convert my 29g FW tank or sell it and by an Acrylic 50g. If I can sell the 29g for cost of the 50g thats the way I will go. So.. I still have to work out rock requirements and substrate but here is my equipment list. Can you tell me if im missing anything.

50 gallon acrylic Sea Clear Tank
3Ft/4Bulbs fixture
AquaC Remora Series Protein Skimmer
2 x Hydor Koralia Evolution 850GPH
BRS 5 Stage RO/DI System - 75GPD - Bulk Reef Supply

I've never heard of that particular fixture so I would be somewhat wary of buying it.

Other than that I don't see any glaring issues. Don't forget to add in a refractometer / hydrometer, test kits, and a quality heater

x2 ive never hear of it but seen alot of them on ebay from china so im guessing its a taiwanese fixture, which could be good or horrible its truely a gamble, i would go with a quality led fixture like the taotronics dimmable led fixture.

I heard the taotronics was a loud fixture? This tank will be in my main living room close by the entertainment center so noise is a big factor for me.

I heard the taotronics was a loud fixture? This tank will be in my main living room close by the entertainment center so noise is a big factor for me.

ive never heard that it was loud, maybe someone with one can chime in on this, but i doubt its loud, maybe a light hum from the fans but thats still very soft and you have to be close to the fixture itself to hear them, its not like theyre spinning at 8,000rpm lol

It's not bad at all. The noise of the light is about equivalent to a audible computer fan. Mine is in my bedroom and it doesn't cause any issues.

I would guess I would need 2 of them for 50g 36" tank? I guess I would need to build a canopy as I cant hang them. Not bad deal as I made the stand and I think I have enough left over material to build a matching canopy.

A little more research shows me that the Sea Clear 50g tank has and molded acrylic top on it with 2 openings that may just make it harder to put some rock in, and it has pre-cut wholes for filter etc that might not work with the HOB etc so I think I will just convert my 29g instead. So that being said for a 29g tank how does this sound?
1 x 120w Taotonics LED light
1 x octopus-bh1000 HOB skimmer
1 x 5 stage RO/DI unit
1 x Korilia Evolution 1150? or 2 600's?
1 x Refractometer with calibration fluid
Existing 150w Heater
Existing AC 50 filter with Matrix and Purigen
Instant Ocean Reef Salt
2 bags of Natures Ocean Reef Sand
30lb ish of Live Rock

Just add water and fish :) Hopefully

research and more research right. From looking at pictures online and thinking about it more I think getting 40g breeder at Petco's $1/g sale will work better. I can sell my full 29g setup which will pay for the 40g, the glass top and the sand. Does that sound better?

Back
Top Bottom