need help, cycling my tank(dead shrimp)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kwaenz

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok just started the cycling process on my BC14 using a dead shrimp, its been running for a few days now. Am cycling it with 15lbs of arag-sand, no LR yet but its on its way as i have ordered some dry rocks from BRS recently about 15lbs of dry rocks. Place the bioballs, a koralia 425, and the filter that came with the biocube. All is in place but when I open the lid it kinda smells bad, is this the ammonia starting to takeover the tank?

I was also wondering if its ok at all to add active-carbon & phospure during the cycling process, will it affect the cycling in a bad way?

Will a partial water change necessary to do during cycling? :ermm:

Ok just started the cycling process on my BC14 using a dead shrimp, its been running for a few days now. Am cycling it with 15lbs of arag-sand, no LR yet but its on its way as i have ordered some dry rocks from BRS recently about 15lbs of dry rocks. Place the bioballs, a koralia 425, and the filter that came with the biocube. All is in place but when I open the lid it kinda smells bad, is this the ammonia starting to takeover the tank?

I was also wondering if its ok at all to add active-carbon & phospure during the cycling process, will it affect the cycling in a bad way?

Will a partial water change necessary to do during cycling? :ermm:

I wouldn't do any partial water changes (PWC) until it is done cycling. The bacteria need to the ammonia to grow. If you do a PWC you are removing some of the ammonia that the bacteria would have fed off of. As for the smell, I have read that curing live rock will give off some pretty bad smell. I used a lot of live rock when I cycled my tank and didn't need to cure it so I can't speak of my own experience but I think that is what you are smelling. Are you testing your water yourself? If not, I would recommend it. It will help you know when the cycle is complete and get you in good habits for when you start adding livestock.

thanks rdnelson99 for pointing that out. ill go ahead with that article you gave.(y)

thanks rdnelson99 for pointing that out. ill go ahead with that article you gave.(y)

You are very welcome. Wish I could take credit for it but I am just regurgitating what others told me when I came on this site a couple months ago. :)

I'll give you the credit for leading me to that article & helping me out.(y)

Its almost a week since i've cycled and had no idea if i was on the right track, hopefully it turns out well. I dont have any tester's right now, hopefully my API tester will arrive this friday.:fish2:

I bought the API saltwater master to start then bought the API reef master kit. Later, I found out they are not the greatest. Because I spent the money on them I will use them up but.....I will occasionally take samples to a trusted LFS and compare results. That way I can tell how off my readings are.

Read all the posts you can on this forum. You will find several people who have a ton of knowledge and love to share. Of course there are a few that love to share but don't have the required knowledge. LOL You got to be sure you can tell the differance. I can tell you that if you see anything by Mr_X or ccCapt you can take it to the bank. Those two are great.

I believe there's no near LFS here other than petco w/c im not aware if they do free testing of water parameters.

I guess getting an API master tester kit is better than having none. :)

Ill try to look for posts of those two members you noted.

Dnt forget carey she answered like 80% of my questions and knows a lot too

i think shes kinda busy this week since shes into buying stuffs she needs for her tank. :)

i think shes kinda busy this week since shes into buying stuffs she needs for her tank. :)

Yes she is great. Nobody researches equipment better than her. I have watched people ask her about something and she doesn't know but will get back to them. 1/2 hour later, she has fully researched it and has an answer for them. Lot of great people on this site.

Anyway just wanna know, has anyone cycled w/ carbon before? will it affect my cycling process like get rid of my ammonia? I'm trying to find it out been searching for answers for a day now but can't find a straight answer, I wanna know cos my tank is starting to stink bad.

I had not carbon in my system when I cycled so I really can't answer. If you don't get an answer soon, send a private message to one of the experts. I am sure they will be happy to help you out.

Good idea! how come I've never thought of that lol. (y)

Back
Top Bottom