Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-22-2012, 03:12 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Need Help... First Time Setting up 30 gallon Reef Tank

hi i need help,advice,assistance to set up my 30 gallon reef tank.. im new to saltwater pls give me some advice on what equipment to get to have a nice reef tank.. but off course im on a budget.. and since im new to reef tank i just want to put the easiest to take care corals and fish... pls pls pls need help!!..

Old 10-22-2012, 06:19 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do you have any particular questions? Hard to help you if we don't know what you already know. Is tank set up? Cycling? There are articles about cycling on this forum. We really need you to ask whatever you're needing help with, and we'll be happy to help.

Old 10-22-2012, 06:27 PM   #3

im not cycling yet.. lets start with filtration... sump or canister??.. and what media to use..
Old 10-22-2012, 06:43 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you have room for a sump, I hear its easier maintenance than canister. I don't have room for a sump I my corner cabinet, so have a Fluval 406 canister on my 55g. If you do a filter, you'll want one rated for double the size of your tank.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:49 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Go with a sump if possible. Many more options for you and increases your water volume. Also drill your tank if you can now before you regret not doing it later
Old 10-22-2012, 06:55 PM   #6

i really want a sump since alot of you said its better.. but like i said before im on a budget.. im going with canister since i have a extra fluval 405.. what media to use??
Old 10-22-2012, 08:30 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymax
i really want a sump since alot of you said its better.. but like i said before im on a budget.. im going with canister since i have a extra fluval 405.. what media to use??
In my Fluval I have the 2 egg-crate type sponges, 4 of the long white sponges, 3 baskets with biomax, 2 water polishing sponges and 3 baskets with chemipure. I don't know the set-up or how many baskets the 405 has, though. Some people take out the biomax and use rock rubble there instead, whichever you like. And you can use regular carbon instead of the chemipure, too. I rinse everything every week with my PWC and change out one of the sponges every week, alternating them, of course.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:51 PM   #8

ok.. thanks now i have an idea for filtration.. next is lighting.. its a reef tank.. lighting is critical.. what would be the best light fixture for a 30 gallon??..
Old 10-23-2012, 12:17 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a Kessil LED on my reef. It's about $300 for the light and swan-neck holder on marinedepot.com. It'll keep any coral you want. I've heard good things about the Par 38 LED, but no experience with them. I think they're under $150, but not certain. If you search lighting for reef on this forum, there's probably all kinda of threads that will come up-this is a common topic. For reef LED, you'll need to make sure the lights are 3w each, many of them are only 1w and that's not enough for reefs.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:31 AM   #10

ok.. thanks alot... light is done.. next is skimmer.. what kind of skimmer Should i used and since im using a canister do i need an overflow box??

Tags
30 gallon, reef, reef tank, setting up, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com