Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-10-2006, 02:38 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
Adding Crushed coral to the substrate will become a problem in the long run by becoming a nitrate issue.

As far as the ph, you say you have a jbj nano cube, I am assuming it is covered? If it is, that could be a big part of the problem. Surface agitation is also something to consider. If the powerheads are placed low, there isnt alot of surface water movement. Water movement throughout the tank does not help the gas exchange, that takes place at the surface. I don't know if this describes your set up or not. If it does, then more agitation at the surface will increase your ph.

Old 04-10-2006, 02:46 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
I should have mentioned his other post (or he could have) and that L2’s ph problem wasn’t because of covering the tank causing the CO2 to rise and ph to fall.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 03:02 PM   #13
L2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yup, I have a JBJ Nano Cube but I keep the front of the canopy open and the return pump creates quite a bit of surface agitation seeing as I upgraded the pump. What about using a small fan to blow accross the surface?

Anyhow, my Alk is only 2.86 so I think I'm going to try using B-IONIC calcium buffer to get my Alk up slowly... So my pH will naturally rise. My pH will never rise if my Alk is so low...

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewIt...product=EV1111

What do you guys think?
Old 04-10-2006, 07:20 PM   #14
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2
What do you guys think?
Stop messing with the chemistry and start looking at ways to impove gas exchange in the tank. Until that's addressed, your pH will continue to be a problem. The fan is a good idea, just make sure it's pointed towards the opening you posted about earlier and watch the evap.

Cheers
Steve
Old 04-10-2006, 07:55 PM   #15
L2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ok, but can someone explain to me how my Alk is supposed to go up by itself? A fan will effect the pH slightly but how do people get their Alkalinity where it should be? Right now mine is 2.86. It should be closer to 3.5... Something tells me that if I had a higher Alk I'd automatically have a higher pH. So how do people generally go about achieving that without any supplements?
Old 04-10-2006, 08:16 PM   #16
steve-s

LOL.. chill!

You where asking about pH, not alkalinity. You cannot control the pH by increasing the alk anyway. All alkalinity does is help keep pH stable.

Buffers are used for alkainity when needed, of course. 2.86 mE/ql alk is not bad at all. 3.0-3.25 is actually the highest it needs to be, 3.5 is excessive.

To get from 2.86 to 3.0, you'll need about 1/8th of a teaspoon if that.

http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html

Cheers
Steve
Old 04-10-2006, 08:22 PM   #17
L2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Wow!

That calculator is Awesome!!! Thanks!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com