Need help identifying a coral/creature?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kanevskystas

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello,

I went and bought some sand from an aquarium shutdown and some live rock and a power head korilia2
Now i got tons of stuff crawling in the sand and even got two brital stars ..
The power head is very old.. Two three years maybe.. And the tank was 7 years old..

The power head has tons of life crawling in and around it..
But tho most interesting one is this multiple arm purple/grayish looking creature. When i stop the power head the arms go out .. And when the power head is working they flap around happily inside there.. Its about a cm long..
Pics:

image-2412625952.jpg

image-625267882.jpg

image-1197065478.jpg

Hope you can see it in there.. Its hard to get a hold of it there..

image-4212838507.jpg

What is this little purple thing? And how or should i move it?

Do i need to feed it or give it light...
I have a regular 6500k bulb shining on it now...
I didn't buy lights yet... Was not ready for this :)

Waiting to hear your thoughts :)

I think it looks like this:

tubastraea-diaphana.jpg

Tubastraea diaphana

Is it?

Looks like some type of glass anemone, not aiptasia though. Hmm hard to see with the powerhead in the way though.

I took some flake food that i got from the same guy.. Crushed it into sand and spot fed this... It shuved everything in the mouth in the middle..

Its base it white-ish...

I looked at pictures of glass anemone and they look pretty similar...
Is this considered a pest?

if u believe its a glass anemone, aka aiptasia, then you need to remove it immediately. i would take out the piece of equipment altogether and nuke it with extremely hot water. mutilating aiptasia will make things worse as it is a hardly pest easily spread-able

What is so bad about it? I do not have fish..

Its a 20 gal tank and its just so the livestock there wont die until i get my tank up and running

What is so bad about it? I do not have fish..

Its a 20 gal tank and its just so the livestock there wont die until i get my tank up and running

for 1, it will sting your corals

2, it will spread all over your tank, like a bad case of evil algae. google it and you will see why there're products/methods out there to eradicate it.

Actually aiptasia can move. I have seen it many times before I eradicated the population in my tank.

Can you get a profile pic of the anemone? Sometimes easier to ID aiptasia from the side.

Well, that guy is an aiptasia. I had to do some searching, never seen one that looked like that. I'd murder him off.

Yeah never seen one like that either. Tentacles look to short and stubby to be one. Do you have reference for where you found ID of one like this? I'm curious.

Back
Top Bottom