Need help mixing salt!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smitty

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, I swear I followed directions but it is really hard to calculate exactly how much water I have in my 44g brute cans that I used to mix. I figured I had very close to 40g in each. I added 1/2 cup per gallon as instructed. In one can I have 1.028 salinity and the other I have 1.022 salinity. Funny thing is the one with more is the container with just over 40g and the one with less has less water but I added the same amount of salt!

So, any ideas on how to fix this? Can I just mix them together (in the tank and have it come out about right or do I need to add water to the one too high and add salt to the one not high enough? Help!

Try to get your mix water around 1.023 or 1.024 if it is an established tank so you have less of an immediate not for distilled top off water. But yea, just add more water to the one that is too salty and more salt to the one that is less. Make sure you wait several hours before measuring the salinities and to have powerheads in the containers if at all possible.

So you are doing a new tank? If you have all the water what i do when past over my numbers and are all mix is remove some whater of the one with hight numbers and repleace yhat one with one with any.

The issue with one with less water and same mix maybe you dont have all mixed use a power head

Thanks for the help. I ended up adding water to the one too high and it helped. I didn't do anything to the one too low and I think Dinodu was right that it didn't mix long enough because it did come up a bit.

This is a new tank, nothing live in it. I was just confused as to how to do any of this for the first time. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom