Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-19-2002, 08:12 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
you could by about 10 lbs of base rock , put it in for a base, directly on the glass then put your sand in and put another 40 lbs or so of live rock on top. eventually the base rock you put in will become live rock. as far as seaclone skimmers, thats all ive ever used, i think they are great, and for the money, you cant beat it.

Old 11-19-2002, 10:24 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Lights for your tank will vary in type and strength. It depends on what you plan on keeping in the tank.

Corals such as Leathers, Mushrooms, Trumpets, Etc. can go under VHO or Power compact lighting.

Acroporas, Clams & other harder corals need Metal Halide with a combo of either VHO or Power compact lighting.

As you will come to find out lighting is very controversial, Makes for good arguments

I would suggest getting a book on Corals and research the type of items you want in your tank for lighting and hardiness of the corals.

As you have already seen this type of tank demands alot of thought before starting. As I have found out the hard way don't skimp at the beginning it will only cost more later on down the road.

Keep asking ? and learn from others by our good fortune and mistakes

75 gal. Reef & 30 gal. Anemone Tanks.

I get paid for what I may have to do, Not for what I do!
EMS503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 12:11 AM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
for lighting check www.hellolights.com , www.ahsupply.com , www.aquaticlight.com
Old 11-23-2002, 01:11 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thank you, one more question

We are going to get the live sand and rock today, but because of the holiday's coming up I don't want to go overboard on buying, is it possible to add more live sand from the same place we got it in the first place at a later time. What we were thinking was getting about 20 lbs of live sand and about 5 pounds of live rock, we still need to purchase lighting and also a test kit which will also add up the price. Our tank has been running with out a heater it is at 80 degrees without a heater and without lights, just the saltwater has been circulating for a week with an oscilating jethead and a magnum 250 just to circulate the water. We know it's going to take time to get everything right before adding any fish. Is it possible to put a mixture of sand from a bag that they sell in the LFS at the bottom and put the live on top knowing that the live would eventually make the other live also? Look forward to everyone's response and thank you in advance! :P
Old 11-23-2002, 01:33 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
YEs what you say is fine.

I am curious why your tank is so warm with out a heater. Do you keep your house warm aswell? What is the room temp of the room that the tank is kept in?

80F is a fine temp as long as it does not flux from night to day. If it goes from 75F at night to 80F at day then you should put a heater in to keep the temp at 80F as much as possible.

ANother concern is what will happen in the summer. If the tank is that warm now. Is there direct sun light on the tank?

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 12:37 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

No heater

The most it has changed in temp is about 1 degree, the tank is in a corner of the room away from direct sunlight. We live in So. California and we don't run the heater at all. The house faces north and south, we get a lot of sunlight in the room but the tank is in a darker spot in the room. From the time we set up the water the water remained about 76, the temp from night to day hasn't changed at all in the last two to three days.

Yesterday outside was a bit cloudy at times but it stayed in the 70's and last night was probably in the low 60's or high 50's, I mean it was cold to us, but we don't run the heater in our house.

We do have a little bit of salt build up on the bottom of the therometer do you think it is giving us an inacurate reading? Can you recommend a better therometer then?

We bought some live sand, not out of the tank though out of a bag that had sand a some water in it, it's called Bio Active Live Aragonite Reef Sand, bought two bags of that and 10 pounds of fiji Live Rock with nice color on it like you suggested.

We have not bought a skimmer as of yet, right now we have the 250 magnum and the oscilating jethead and bubble stone going to provide a lot of movement.

We still need to purchase a test kit but are having a hard time finding one that includes everything, I've read the test strips aren't that great so we are looking for the other kind.

We bought some lights also, but not your normal aquarium lights I guess, they are flouresent lights that would go under a cabinet, we plan on replacing one with an actine light. Both lights are covered with a plastic cover, will this cause a problem?

Look forward to your help
Old 11-24-2002, 12:40 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Quote:
We do have a little bit of salt build up on the bottom of the therometer do you think it is giving us an inacurate reading? Can you recommend a better therometer then?
Salt buildup?

What kind of therometer is this? Is it extnernal stick on type?

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 12:46 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

It's an internal one that is affixed with suction cup, it has white plastic and also shows a "safe zone" area which is highlighted in green which shows from temp 70 to 80, which you had said 80 is where it needs to be at.

Should we have an external one? That's what we had used for our freshwater but figured we needed an internal one to get a more accurate reading for the salt.
Old 11-26-2002, 02:00 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

some more questions

We have our tank getting set up. As earlier, we have the 29 gal tank, magnum 250 & an ocsillating head to push the water around. We removed the airstone. Did think it was doing much other than get water spray outside the tank. The Ammonia is starting to climb so it looks like the tank is just starting it's cycle. We have 40lbs of LS and right now only 10lbs of LR. We plan to add about 10-20lbs more LR when we can afford more & possibly another 20lbs of LS.

We've been thinking ahead a little bit as to what critters & fish to put in that wouldbe reef friendly. We've read other posts on this & other boards where some people have a LOT of critters & cleanup crew for their tanks (i.e. 10-20 various crabs, 20+ snails, 10+ shrimp, etc.). One of my thought is: are ALL these numbers of critters & cleanup crew really needed? With our 29 gal tank, we were just thinking about 2 or so different snails, maybe 3 crabs & a shrimp or two. Would that be enough? We're also thinking about a gobie and/or a bleenie to stir up the DSB a bit. As for the fish population, we're not planning on having that many. Maybe 3-5 or 6 small fish at the most. We don't want to over populate the tank.

Anyone have any thoughts/feelings/advice on this? We really appreciate all the advice & feedback we've been getting!

Tags
setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com