Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-23-2004, 10:10 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist
Originally Posted by RMPD109
The question about liverock depends on your intentions with the tank. Are you going FO or FOWLR. The LR will act as a filtration system to the tank, a form of food for tank inhabitants, as well as adding real decor and lots of amusement with the life it holds. Look at the liverocks.com section of the sponsor forums. The live rock is great and not a hassle once you see the benefits. This of course is just my opinion.
Thanks but i still need to know if i need special lighting and if so what kind?

143gadgets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 10:45 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist
Also how deep of a sand bed should i have i was told if i do 3-4" would not be good. is this a good skimmer CPR BakPak2? i was thinking about exchanging my sea clone 150 for this.

143gadgets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 10:08 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak
The BakPak is a decent skimmer. Better than the SeaClone any way to look at it. 3-4in of sand is a good amount if you don't mind the look. If you get some LR, the sand bed gets seeded with a lot of nice beneficial critters and works. Some people run 4-6in sand beds (a DSB) for the nitrate reducing qualities. I think it looks ugly, and thats a good use of a refugium . I run about 2in avg. (no fuge). With enough LR, I still maintain a <5 nitrate figure with very infrequent water changes. My bioload is light right now though.

What kind of Coralife light is that? How many bulbs, and how many watts a bulb? For LR filtration, you do not need any light over the tank. If you're growing coraline algae (the purple hard stuff, looks nice), 1-2watts/gallon of light will be enough.
55g reef, 2x250W 10k MH + 2x96W PC actninc, 10g sump, AquaC Urchin skimmer, 65lbs LR

xenia, mushrooms, wels. open brain, fungia radiata (orange), green eyed zoos

flame angel, mated pair of false perc, 6-line, firefish

20gH electric yellow cichlid
theatrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 12:18 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Newbie
IMO a 3-4" bed is a little bit much unless you have need for a bed that thick. Should be fine with 2in. the CPR bakpak2 is definitely better than the seaclone. With skimmers, what you pay is what you get. The more money, the better quality and easier to use I think. Haven't used that many, but listening to other people, thats how it goes. At the rate you're going, probably a bakpak or remora would be best for you, can handle heavier bioloads (more fish/inverts) and the possibility of other things.

for LR, you don't need special lighting for it to filter effectively. But, coraline algae (the colored pretty stuff) that spreads around your tank will only grow with enough, light. Other than that though, no special lighting needed for FOWLR or FO tanks. HTH

Always willing to take any unwanted fish/livestock off your hands. =)
phishphood is offline   Reply With Quote

equipment, ick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com