Need Help picking equipment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

143gadgets

Aquarium Advice Activist
I went into my lfs today and was given some advice that i dont know is really true. I currently have a freshwater setup: 40gal tank, 150w heater, 60gal whisper filter. i really want to change to saltwater but i don't know the proper equipment needed. I was told to get a magnum 350 canister filter, crushed coral for the substrate, a hydrometer, a sea clone 100 protein skimmer, and some instant ocean salt. I would really like to know if all this is true and if i need it all of need different brands.

I would also like some suggestions for compatible fish and also how many fish i can put into this take. I was thinking about some clowns, damsels, and dottybacks. I would like to have about 6-8 fish if that is possible and i plan to get some invertabre in the future. What r ur opinions of live rock, it seems very expensive so i may not be able to afford it. All help is appreciated. TIA.

Basically that is equipment that you'll need give or take.

I would pass on the CC substrate as they can become nitrate producers if not cleaned often. go with LS

Add a power head or two

The sea clone skimmer isnt the best out there, go with a Remora

6-8 fish maybe pushing it.
the general rule is 1'' per 5 gallons so that puts you at 8'' of full grown fish

I highly recommend LR and would wait until I had the $ to get it before I started.
it will create a natural filtration that is very important to the stabilty of your tank, 50 Lbs would be good

Get test kits

Pick up this book The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert M. fenner a must read!

spend a lot of time researching on this site.

I am sure others will give their advice

Good Luck

Thanks. This is what i will be purchasing. I have about 30lbs of regular rock. I am going to buy about 15lb of live rock so that it will seed the base rock. Do i need a special light for the LR? I currently have a coralife 50/50 light. Also what about invertbrates i would like some shrimp and some crabs. Is that a good idea?

1. Skimmer (Sea Clone or Remora)
2. Two Power Heads (Maxi Jet)
3. Hydrometer
4. Salt
5. Test Kit
6. Substrate (crushed coral about 2.5-3")

143gadgets said:
Do i need a special light for the LR? I currently have a coralife 50/50 light. Also what about invertbrates i would like some shrimp and some crabs. Is that a good idea?
Rock does not require any special lighting in terms of beneficial biofiltration. The coralline covered roack will need some though but 1-2w/gal can often be sufficient depending on tank depth. What wattage is the Coralife/# of bulbs?

Mobile invertebrates would be fine. The main considerations before you buy any livestock is to research their natural food sources and prey habits first. Many will not co-exists with corals and other sessile inverts. Certain fish will eat both sessile and mobile inverts.

My 2¢
1. Skimmer (Sea Clone or Remora) (No Seaclone.. Remora pro w/mag 350)
2. Two Power Heads (Maxi Jet) (1200's would be best)
3. Hydrometer (refractometers are much more accurate)
4. Salt
5. Test Kit
6. Substrate (crushed coral about 2.5-3") (I would definately opt for sand over CC)

Cheers
Steve

All great advice. I would like to put in my plug for using LS instead of CC for your substrate. Main reason...less work. CC has been used as a subsrate for years and does a fine job. The down side is that detritus tends to get caught in it. This causes your nitrates to climb. The solution is to frequently vacuum it to remove the detritus. LS does not have all of the nooks and crannies for this to get stuck in and does not need to be vacuumed.

Thanks guys but I think i may be confused. I want actual white sand on the bottom. So i guess when i say crushed coral i am mistaken.

I am goin to use 75% regular sand and about 25% LS. the remora is about 50 bucks more than the sea clone. is it that much better? why?

I have a power filter that is rated at 330GPH i was goin to keep it running. is that ok? Once the LR and Base rock has seeded do i really need that mag 350?

Would 6 fish be ok in this tank? I want really active fish!
4 clownfish
2 angels or 2 royal grammas

stay away from crushed coral...
I do tank service for a local shop and every one of the tanks with the CC has high nitrates... Gotta vaccum once a week and alot at that !

Sand THE only way to go !

143gadgets said:
I am goin to use 75% regular sand and about 25% LS. the remora is about 50 bucks more than the sea clone. is it that much better? why?
The Seaclone will require alot of tweeking and possibley moding to get any decent performance out of it and even then it's iffy at best. The Remora pro w/MAG 350 is basically set it and forget it.

I have a power filter that is rated at 330GPH i was goin to keep it running. is that ok? Once the LR and Base rock has seeded do i really need that mag 350?
You don't need the canister at all really. Add the sand, rock and water; let the tank cycle properly and you will have a sustainable ecosystem if maintained properly and animals are added to deal with larger waste concerns. If you already own the canister and it's not in use, it can still be utilized for extra water flow or a holding compartment for carbon or resins products. Mechanical filtration is not needed in a marine tank provided there is sufficient LR and animals to assist in the waste process.

Would 6 fish be ok in this tank? I want really active fish!
4 clownfish
2 angels or 2 royal grammas
6 fish may end up being okay but not that list. Only one angel in such a small tank, 2 would require a 75-90 gal or larger. Same goes with clowns. You shouldn't mix species or really keep more than a mated pair unless a much larger tank, preferabley over 150 gal or larger. The gramma's can be kept together and should be introduced at the same time but only in a tank with plenty of LR.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks guys for all ur help. I bought a sea clone 150, two maxi-jet 1200s, a hydrometer, marine test kit, enough LS to make about 1.5" think sand bed. I did not buy the live rock yet because the guy at the LFS told me that it would be too much of a hassle. He said that it was not worth it and to buy fake decor. I plan on putting clowns in this tank. What r u guys opinions, i know that a lot of u support LR, but why? Do i need special lighting for it, because i was told that i do need certain lights or it will die. PLease help :?

The question about liverock depends on your intentions with the tank. Are you going FO or FOWLR. The LR will act as a filtration system to the tank, a form of food for tank inhabitants, as well as adding real decor and lots of amusement with the life it holds. Look at the liverocks.com section of the sponsor forums. The live rock is great and not a hassle once you see the benefits. This of course is just my opinion.

RMPD109 said:
The question about liverock depends on your intentions with the tank. Are you going FO or FOWLR. The LR will act as a filtration system to the tank, a form of food for tank inhabitants, as well as adding real decor and lots of amusement with the life it holds. Look at the liverocks.com section of the sponsor forums. The live rock is great and not a hassle once you see the benefits. This of course is just my opinion.

Thanks but i still need to know if i need special lighting and if so what kind?

Also how deep of a sand bed should i have i was told if i do 3-4" would not be good. is this a good skimmer CPR BakPak2? i was thinking about exchanging my sea clone 150 for this.

The BakPak is a decent skimmer. Better than the SeaClone any way to look at it. 3-4in of sand is a good amount if you don't mind the look. If you get some LR, the sand bed gets seeded with a lot of nice beneficial critters and works. Some people run 4-6in sand beds (a DSB) for the nitrate reducing qualities. I think it looks ugly, and thats a good use of a refugium :). I run about 2in avg. (no fuge). With enough LR, I still maintain a <5 nitrate figure with very infrequent water changes. My bioload is light right now though.

What kind of Coralife light is that? How many bulbs, and how many watts a bulb? For LR filtration, you do not need any light over the tank. If you're growing coraline algae (the purple hard stuff, looks nice), 1-2watts/gallon of light will be enough.

IMO a 3-4" bed is a little bit much unless you have need for a bed that thick. Should be fine with 2in. the CPR bakpak2 is definitely better than the seaclone. With skimmers, what you pay is what you get. The more money, the better quality and easier to use I think. Haven't used that many, but listening to other people, thats how it goes. At the rate you're going, probably a bakpak or remora would be best for you, can handle heavier bioloads (more fish/inverts) and the possibility of other things.

for LR, you don't need special lighting for it to filter effectively. But, coraline algae (the colored pretty stuff) that spreads around your tank will only grow with enough, light. Other than that though, no special lighting needed for FOWLR or FO tanks. HTH

Back
Top Bottom