Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-09-2013, 10:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Need help planning my saltwater fish tank

My boyfriend and I had started a ten gallon freshwater fish tank together a few months ago, and he liked it so much he set up a 36 gallon freshwater tank.
I do enjoy this new hobby but I haven't found a fish that I really like yet. I want to set up a ten gallon saltwater tank. I want to have live rock and I want to pick some really pretty corals. And I want to find one single fish our maybe a couple that I can have in my ten gallon. And I know nothing about them but I must ask because it crossed my mind, would I be able to have some kind of starfish also? Maybe?
If anyone has any type of advice for me, please share

Old 03-09-2013, 11:54 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

The best advise I can give you is do plenty of research before purchasing anything! Ask questions here. I would also recommend thinking of a slightly bigger tank for your first as saltwater can be easier to look after the more volume you have and the set up costs for say a 20g or 30g would be not much more than the ten. Just my opinion much better fish options too. If you are prepared to spend some Monday and have the patience salt water is so rewarding and very addictive !

Old 03-09-2013, 11:55 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ha! *money, not Monday. Not sure how you would spend Monday
Old 03-10-2013, 12:11 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Ok need help just started my first tank an last month my son was messing with the filter an for got to turn it off before taking it out of the water an it froth up the water an now my water has become cloudy I have changed the water twice but it is still cloudy an murky what can I do to get my water clear again?
Old 03-10-2013, 10:21 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtooxl View Post
Ok need help just started my first tank an last month my son was messing with the filter an for got to turn it off before taking it out of the water an it froth up the water an now my water has become cloudy I have changed the water twice but it is still cloudy an murky what can I do to get my water clear again?
You can put carbon in the filter it helps, for fresh and salt. Works better with a reactor, rinse it first.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:30 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bectan01 View Post
The best advise I can give you is do plenty of research before purchasing anything! Ask questions here. I would also recommend thinking of a slightly bigger tank for your first as saltwater can be easier to look after the more volume you have and the set up costs for say a 20g or 30g would be not much more than the ten. Just my opinion much better fish options too. If you are prepared to spend some Monday and have the patience salt water is so rewarding and very addictive !
thank you very much, I will do as much research as I can, and I will ask questions on here as I go. i'm excited
Old 03-10-2013, 02:31 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty View Post
You can put carbon in the filter it helps, for fresh and salt. Works better with a reactor, rinse it first.
what is a reactor
Old 03-10-2013, 04:55 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Mtooxl if you are new to the forum then welcome! But it is generally considered very impolite to hijack other people's threads, particularly if it is not relevant to what the OP is asking...
Old 03-10-2013, 04:56 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh and fishprincess as well as asking questions remember to post pics of your tank as it goes. We love seeing pics
Old 03-10-2013, 05:14 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishprincess View Post

thank you very much, I will do as much research as I can, and I will ask questions on here as I go. i'm excited
Is recommend a 20 gallon. You could get a pair of clown fish, some inverts, and maybe one more fish

Tags
salt, saltwater, saltwater fish, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com