Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-27-2010, 04:02 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Need Help putting my equipment together

i just got all this stuff for a salt water aquarium for free. very interested in taking care of a s/w aquarium.
im ask for help for the following things. i dont know how many gallon it is but its like the same length but wider then my 55 gallon

1 putting all these things together
2 what other things i need to buy (dont have any salt or water testing equipment nothing! any suggestion?)
3 how to take care of one

desperate need in help with my new addiction

phongt86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 04:04 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Old 02-27-2010, 08:14 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Welcome to AA!
Here's a thread that explains all the equipment you'll need which it looks like you have most of it, but some of them are missing parts.
Stock list and tips for maintaining your SW tank.

pic#2 is a protein skimmer, that particular device sucks waters in and mixes it with air bubbles. The air bubbles trap organic waste when they form and since they don't pop easily, they float to the top canisters and flow over the lip into the holding cup. You'll need to empty that daily as it can get full fast.

pic#4 is your power heads, those go inside your main tank to blow water around to create a current, it's best to place them on opposite sides of the tank slightly facing towards the surface to make the surface ripple for gas exchange (it gets more oxygen in your water which is good).

pic#5,6,7 are of your return pump and lines that go back into your tank. You'll place the pump into your sump and run the lines so the nozels are on opposite sides oy your tank hanging over the top.

pic#8 is your sump, that goes under your tank and it's where you place the return pump along with the protien skimmer. The pump probably satt on top of the Blue/White plastic thing and the skimmer probably goes on the other side of the glass where the tube is.

It looks like you need an overflow box (can find them on EBay pretty cheap) to feed water to your sump though and you'll also need a refractometer (or if money is tight, a hydrometer) to test how much salt is in the water. You'll also need testkits for ammonia,nitrites, nitrates,ph, and alk. You can usually buy them together in a master test kit which includes them all. Hope this helps a bit.
Krypt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:01 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree, except in pic #4, the one on the left is a Maxi-Jet pump, and should hook into a skimmer, the one on the left is a Hydor Koralia pump, that one is used to move water around in the tank.
Any questions? Feel free to PM me.
Hitchhikers on live rock? http://www.xtalworld.com/Aquarium/hitchfaq.htm
Like someone's post? Show some appreciation with the reputation button!
thominil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:39 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie
i seriously do not have a clue about this.thanks for the info. on picture 5 6 7 one has black and red zip ties and the other does not(do i put on each end of the tank? and where does the pump goes?). i also got another pump which i believe i connect it to skimmer in picture 1

i think this is how the sump supose to look like i also got a bag of filter which is been cut up
Old 02-28-2010, 02:50 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
Pic 1 seems to be some kind of intake.

~ Mitch

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Mitchell0605 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com