Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-21-2013, 10:05 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Mr. X what is a refugium and what does it do? And this is the light.... I've never used a sump, and the people that had it before said this is all they used.... No skimmer. I don't even know what tubes go where for the sump set up so I'm just gonna have to get someone to come help set up the system..... You guys and gals are awesome!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3632968442.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	161306  

Old 03-21-2013, 10:13 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

It looks like a T-8 maybe? Which will do the job for now. Once you get your head around everything check out an upgrade on those lights. I went for LED but there are so many choices depending on budget... I have never set up a sump either but will follow along because its something I would like to do down the track

Old 03-21-2013, 11:29 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looks like you have a good bit of the basic equipment you're going to need other than a couple if powerheads and test equipment. That light will only be useful for seeing the fish. You'll need way more light for corals after everything is setup. You'll need proper reef sand and live or dead reef ready rock.

I wouldn't rush anything just yet. You'll want to look on YouTube for videos on setting up a HOB overflow and sump. That'll show you how that part of the equipment works. It can be tricky but it isn't all that hard. You can also look at the stickies at the top of this forum for a lot of basic info on setting up a saltwater tank.

It's a good idea to start a list of the items you're looking to buy and run it by us on the forum before you spend money on stuff. Well let you know if it will be ok to use in a reef. Stuff you'll need to start will be salt, a refractometer (to test salt levels), a powerhead (to mix salt and create water flow), RO water, a basic saltwater test kit for ammonia, nitrate & pH (at least), a heater, and a book. I'm betting you already have water changing equipment from your freshwater tank. The sand and rock will come next.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:38 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff.rice View Post
Mr. X what is a refugium and what does it do? And this is the light.... I've never used a sump, and the people that had it before said this is all they used.... No skimmer. I don't even know what tubes go where for the sump set up so I'm just gonna have to get someone to come help set up the system..... You guys and gals are awesome!!
A refugium is a place, free of predation, where you can grow algae and tiny little critters that will help keep the tank healthy down the road.
Basically, you would simply toss in some rock maybe, and then some macro algae (which is easy to acquire) and put a cheap light over it. the algae will absorb nutrients and also be a home to a lot of interesting and helpful life.
The bio balls will trap detritus and will need regular maintenance. They aren't ideal in for a reef setup.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:38 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

I do have a maxijet 1200 power head that I bought for my other tank and decided against it..... Is that going to be too big for a 29 gallon tank?
Old 03-21-2013, 11:40 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
it's not enough actually, but it will be good for mixing salt water.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:23 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
+1 i have about 500 gph of water movement in my 39 gallom display
Old 03-22-2013, 11:32 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
+1 im running 2 1400 gph poweheads in my 75 and about to add another 500 or so soon. Also, look on YouTube to get the whole picture of what is needed for the tank. I found it all made sense once I someone to explain why you need what you need.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:34 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

The reason I was asking is because when I put the maxijet 1200 in my 55 gallon fresh tank it was blowing sand everywhere..... Good to know I will still be able to use it
Old 03-22-2013, 03:12 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

I had a 30 gallon with two MJ1200s and two smaller powerheads for flow. Reef tanks can handle (and benefit) from lots of water movement. Your MJ1200 will definitely come in handy.

Tags
ick, setting up, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com