Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-22-2013, 06:27 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff.rice View Post
The reason I was asking is because when I put the maxijet 1200 in my 55 gallon fresh tank it was blowing sand everywhere..... Good to know I will still be able to use it
Yeah it can happen. Play with adjusting the angle of the PH. You'll find the sweet spot

Old 03-24-2013, 02:12 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bectan01 View Post
How big is the tank? Doesn't quite look big enough for tangs from your pics. Clownfish although they are really common, they are a great fish, very entertaining. The size of the tank will determine who/what you can keep in there. For instance I have 7 small fish in a 55g. Check out liveaquaria.com for suggested fish sizes and compatibility. What type of lighting do you have? That will determine the types of corals you can keep. I would suggest start slow, with fish only. Give it time for the tank to settle in and for you to get used to the maintenance, some people suggest waiting about 6months before adding corals and you will need to start testing our water for a few extra things when you do. Got any powerheads for movement? Thinking about a skimmer in that sump?
Bectan, I've got to do what I can to try to keep the wife happy with my fairly new hobby lol..... She said she wants a puffer fish..... Is there a puffer fish that's small enough to put in a 29 gallon tank?!?!

Old 03-24-2013, 06:02 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

No, not really. The valentini is the smallest I believe. I have a similar puffer fish and they like loads of room to swim and are heavy on the bio load, you should see the amount off poo this guy has!
Old 03-26-2013, 09:25 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bectan01 View Post
No, not really. The valentini is the smallest I believe. I have a similar puffer fish and they like loads of room to swim and are heavy on the bio load, you should see the amount off poo this guy has!
How about box fish?
Old 03-26-2013, 09:27 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Freak

Looking for suggestions on aquarium salt...... Is there a kind that's better than others??? And is there one that's got needed additives in it?
Old 03-26-2013, 09:45 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry no advice on the salt, I buy my saltwater premixed from my LFS. The box fish is considered expert only and require massive tanks as they grow to be huge. They also are toxic and if stressed or dies releases a poison that can wipe out our tank! Very awesome fish tho, if I had a 200g would be the first thing I bought
Old 03-26-2013, 09:48 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Most marine aquarium salts work fine. Instant Ocean is used by many and cheaper than some other brands. Some have marine salt and reef salt. Reef salt has more additives that corals need, but the other is fine for fish only tanks.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:50 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

I buy my salt water pre mixed from my lfs also. Reef crystals has all the trace elements in it so that's what I would use if I was mixing my own water.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:57 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Freak

I was going to get my water from my LFS..... However it's not very local haha, it's 45 minutes away! I did find out the groceries store right around the corner sells RO/DI water.... So I think it's my better option
Old 03-27-2013, 12:05 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Freak

I know it's more money up front however I highly recommend an RODI unit.

Tags
ick, setting up, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com