Need help quickly! Setting up new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ff.rice

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am starting a salt water tank and selling a running/cycled fresh water tank..... Because I haven't ever had a salt water tank I was wondering if I could put some of the water from the fresh water tank in the salt tank and add aquarium salt? Would this work? And would it keep good bacteria in there if I did that? The fresh water tank actually already sold and the new owner is coming to get it in a couple days so I wanted to go ahead and do this if it was possible! Any help anybody could give me with this.... Or salt water aquariums in general would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Nope, unfortunately not. You will need to empty the tank and start from scratch. Have you been doing some research into saltwater? You also can't use tap water, even if its treated for mixing salt. Most people invest in a Ro-di system. Tell us a bit about your plans for the tank, set up, filtration etc then what you would like to keep, fish only, full reef? Ask plenty of questions along the way and we should be able to help you out :)

Nope, unfortunately not. You will need to empty the tank and start from scratch. Have you been doing some research into saltwater? You also can't use tap water, even if its treated for mixing salt. Most people invest in a Ro-di system. Tell us a bit about your plans for the tank, set up, filtration etc then what you would like to keep, fish only, full reef? Ask plenty of questions along the way and we should be able to help you out :)

+1, give us as much info as you can. You will need to start the salt water tank from the ground up. I recommend finding someone with some seeding material that can give you something to start with. eg an old filter pad works good, some live rock will also be needed to jump start your cycle. Please ask questions as there are a lot of successful FOWLR and reef keepers on AA who want nothing more than to help you build a healthy aquarium.

Bectan is exactly right. You don't want to use anything but RO or RO-DI water in a saltwater tank if at all possible. You also never want to add salt directly into a tank unless the tank is completely empty with no sand or rocks. If the tank has anything in it the salt should always be mixed with RO water in a separate container (like for water changes). You can buy RO water at most fish shops or even at some supermarkets but you'll need to have some containers. This works out fine in the beginning but most saltwater tank owners eventually buy their own water filter. If your tank is small and you have a place where you can buy water close by then that's a fine way to go. You'll also need a tool to check the salt level of your water. Refractometers are the best but I've gotten buy well with a simple glass hydrometer. The plastic hydrometers are to untrustworthy in my opinion.

The very first thing to buy would be a book on saltwater tanks. They have explanations and pictures for all these things and a lot more. Even just perusing a few books at a book store can be helpful. Of course, we'll be here to help you too. ^_^

Ok here we go..... This is what I got with my purchase.... ($30.00) and I have some cleaning to do, but couldn't beat the price! Should I clean the bio-balls? And if so, with what?

Attachments

• image-1833155662.jpg
    image-1833155662.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 131
  • image-2243025879.jpg
    image-2243025879.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 108
  • image-1233275809.jpg
    image-1233275809.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 109
  • image-4085878204.jpg
    image-4085878204.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 101
  • image-1352888727.jpg
    image-1352888727.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 94
How big is the tank? Doesn't quite look big enough for tangs from your pics. Clownfish although they are really common, they are a great fish, very entertaining. The size of the tank will determine who/what you can keep in there. For instance I have 7 small fish in a 55g. Check out liveaquaria.com for suggested fish sizes and compatibility. What type of lighting do you have? That will determine the types of corals you can keep. I would suggest start slow, with fish only. Give it time for the tank to settle in and for you to get used to the maintenance, some people suggest waiting about 6months before adding corals and you will need to start testing our water for a few extra things when you do. Got any powerheads for movement? Thinking about a skimmer in that sump?

It's a 29 gallon tank, and thanks to Nemo that's about the only 2 fish I know of but they look cool..... And the light is a hood, but the bulb says F17T8/Actinic 420 coral sun on it.... And as far as a skimmer, idk what I need.... And I wanted to go ahead and start cleaning, what should I do with the bio balls?

Unfortunately I am not a sump expert so I can't help you there with the bio balls. On that size tank you wouldn't need a skimmer, it is useful but not necessary. Are the lights PC? Or T-5? Can you post a pic of them?
You could def do a pair of clowns and a couple of other small fish in there, some shrimp or crabs? Lots of options. While you are cycling you will have plenty of time to research. Make sure you get yourself some test kits and a refractometer for measuring salinity. Have you thought about where you will get your water from? If you don't have any power heads you will def need one maybe 2 of those for water movement...

Mr. X what is a refugium and what does it do? And this is the light.... I've never used a sump, and the people that had it before said this is all they used.... No skimmer. I don't even know what tubes go where for the sump set up so I'm just gonna have to get someone to come help set up the system..... You guys and gals are awesome!!

Attachments

• image-3632968442.jpg
    image-3632968442.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 93
It looks like a T-8 maybe? Which will do the job for now. Once you get your head around everything check out an upgrade on those lights. I went for LED but there are so many choices depending on budget... I have never set up a sump either but will follow along because its something I would like to do down the track :)

Looks like you have a good bit of the basic equipment you're going to need other than a couple if powerheads and test equipment. That light will only be useful for seeing the fish. You'll need way more light for corals after everything is setup. You'll need proper reef sand and live or dead reef ready rock.

I wouldn't rush anything just yet. You'll want to look on YouTube for videos on setting up a HOB overflow and sump. That'll show you how that part of the equipment works. It can be tricky but it isn't all that hard. You can also look at the stickies at the top of this forum for a lot of basic info on setting up a saltwater tank.

It's a good idea to start a list of the items you're looking to buy and run it by us on the forum before you spend money on stuff. Well let you know if it will be ok to use in a reef. Stuff you'll need to start will be salt, a refractometer (to test salt levels), a powerhead (to mix salt and create water flow), RO water, a basic saltwater test kit for ammonia, nitrate & pH (at least), a heater, and a book. I'm betting you already have water changing equipment from your freshwater tank. The sand and rock will come next.

Mr. X what is a refugium and what does it do? And this is the light.... I've never used a sump, and the people that had it before said this is all they used.... No skimmer. I don't even know what tubes go where for the sump set up so I'm just gonna have to get someone to come help set up the system..... You guys and gals are awesome!!
A refugium is a place, free of predation, where you can grow algae and tiny little critters that will help keep the tank healthy down the road.
Basically, you would simply toss in some rock maybe, and then some macro algae (which is easy to acquire) and put a cheap light over it. the algae will absorb nutrients and also be a home to a lot of interesting and helpful life.
The bio balls will trap detritus and will need regular maintenance. They aren't ideal in for a reef setup.

I do have a maxijet 1200 power head that I bought for my other tank and decided against it..... Is that going to be too big for a 29 gallon tank?

it's not enough actually, but it will be good for mixing salt water.

+1 im running 2 1400 gph poweheads in my 75 and about to add another 500 or so soon. Also, look on YouTube to get the whole picture of what is needed for the tank. I found it all made sense once I someone to explain why you need what you need.

The reason I was asking is because when I put the maxijet 1200 in my 55 gallon fresh tank it was blowing sand everywhere..... Good to know I will still be able to use it

I had a 30 gallon with two MJ1200s and two smaller powerheads for flow. Reef tanks can handle (and benefit) from lots of water movement. Your MJ1200 will definitely come in handy.

Back
Top Bottom