Need help reshaping/cutting live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dacaptain78

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello All,
I recently purchased 80 pounds of live rock for my 65 gallon tank. Some of the pieces are too large and I would like to break them into smaller sized rocks. Does anyone know of a techinque I can use to control where the rock breaks apart? I would hate to try and split a rock in half just to have it crumble into rubble sized pieces. All ideas are welcome. TIA!

Hammer and chisel work best but it still may not break exactly were you want. Try to break them at narrower intersections for best results.

Place the rock on a firm surface (concrete or asphalt), and knock gently. Slowly apply more pressure, until you feel the rock start to break.

You can use some of the smaller rubble in a filter or HOB, fuge....

In addition to a hammer and chisel I'll also sometimes use a 1/4" x 16" long concrete drill bit.
If I need the rock to break exactly in a certain place I'll first drill some perforations to weaken it along that line then take the chisel to it.
This has worked out really well when I was making the wife some bowl-shaped natural rock planters for her bonsai plants.

Back
Top Bottom