Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-13-2011, 10:15 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Restarting

I have had my 50g corner for a year and a half but it faced a nitrate spike that it couldend revive it self from so i had nothing left but the 2 damsels i started with (toughest fish in the sea). SO today i was sick of only having 2 fish in my tank, because i was scared of the enevitable the levels just couldent be controlled. So i emptied out the tank bare.. nothing at all, gave it a nice scrubbing, cleaned around the stand, and put back the tank. so right now it is sitting there with 2 powerheads running, no sand, no lr, and i dont know what to do next. i am most likely going 2 get ls tommorow and a shrimp 2 restart the cycling process, it been a while since i cycled and i dont know if last time i did it wrong resulting in mass death later on so could some one tell me exactly what 2 do.( i do have the tank filled with 1.021 salinity water).

Old 03-14-2011, 11:35 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

What did you do with the damsels? Did you return them?

Old 03-14-2011, 11:37 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I got the damsels in a 3gallon
Old 03-14-2011, 11:39 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

It could take a couple weeks to fully cycle, are you planing on keeping them? nasty little fish imo lol
Old 03-14-2011, 11:42 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

They are i do suspect them of killing my coral beauty and my hermits, i dont know if i should return them tho they are the hardest fish i have ever seen
Old 03-14-2011, 11:51 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

i would def return them. They cant live in that 3 gallon while you cycle and its so much faster to cycle with out fish. Do you have everything else you need: API or liquid test kit (amonia, nitrite and nitrate), pure ammonia or a fresh uncooked shrimp?
Old 03-14-2011, 11:55 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Im going 2 get a liquid test kit right now im only using a strip i am also going 2 get the shrimp is is smart 2 use the live rock from my dead tank in this new one?
Old 03-14-2011, 11:55 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

is the rock still wet? How long has it not been used for? How much do you got?
Old 03-14-2011, 11:59 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

yea its still wet it wasnt used for only 5hrs it does have small colonies of purple coraline on it tho i dont know if is alive
and i got my skimmer running
Old 03-14-2011, 12:03 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

If its still looking ok I'd put it in. Youre not cycling with fish so if the rock recycles it wont do any harm. Thats why its so much easier without fish. If your stuck on the fish you have maybe your lfs can hold them for you? Worth a shot if you really like em.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com