Need Help Setting Up 40gl Breeder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict

So I want to tell you what I think I need to get for my setup and you tell me if its ok or what I need. I know lots about freshwater but not much about salt. This will be my first salt tank

Tank: 40 gallon breeder (was thinking 29 but to small)
Live Rock: 10lb's
Base Rock: 30lb's
Light: T5HO from Fish Need it (not sure if I should get a 2 or 4 bulb Probably need 4Bulb Not sure what types of bulbs to get only know bulbs for freshwater planted tanks)
Filter: Aqua clear AC70
Heater: Fluval 300Watt
Substrate: Not sure what to use, Live Sand is all I know of
Power Head:Koralia 750

Fish I must have:
Clown Fish
Red Flame Angel Fish
Kaudern's Cardinal

Questions I have:
can anyone tell me how I know how much I can stock?

Looking for any other thought on what fish I can have.

What are other things I need I may not be thinking of?
Master Test Kit
Hydrometer or w/e
thermometer
Salt mix

I personally use a refractometer. Much more accurate.
Stocking list is good, you could add a small schooling fish like chromis, or a firefish, a blenny. Some others like that.
I personally would get more rock. I have 60 pounds in my 40 breeder.
I used pool filter sand. Love it. Perfect consistency.
As far as the lights. Are you wanting corals? Go with a four bulb. FOWLR? 2 bulb will suffice.
I have a 4 bulb with 2 daylight, and 2 actinic for future corals.
Sounds great so far though!

Last edited:
I personally use a refractometer. Much more accurate.
Stocking list is good, you could add a small schooling fish like chromis, or a firefish, a blenny. Some others like that.
I personally would get more rock. I have 60 pounds in my 40 breeder.
I used pool filter sand. Love it. Perfect consistency.
As far as the lights. Are you wanting corals? Go with a four bulb. FOWLR? 2 bulb will suffice.
I have a 4 bulb with 2 daylight, and 2 actinic for future corals.
Sounds great so far though!

Im thinking of maybe just getting My Live rock from http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=393 the fiji rock seems to be a good deal

I wanted to keep maybe 2 of the cardinals and then was going to decide my other fish later on based on those 3 fish.

My 40 gallon is a FW right now with Readymix Fine Sand in it is that the same as PFS? if so can I use the same stuff for my saltwater tank or do I need to buy new?

It sounds very close to mine, 2 black ocellaris, 3 reef chromis, 2 pajama cardinals, a blenny, and a firefish.

you have 3 reef chromis? pictures please.

live sand is less important than some lr to help cycle your tank and seed the dry base rock. i had about 60lbs of rock in my 40 gallon breeder too until i put in a dsb and then i moved the rest to my sump. i think your sand should be fine.

lights like halfmoon said. bulbs i have only used ati. fish only your choice of colors.

rest of it sounds solid. if you havent purchased the heater yet, you can use a fluval 200w and be just fine. thats what im running in sweety pies 40 breeder fowlr tank.

coffeetwitch said:
you have 3 reef chromis? pictures please.
Apologies, didn't mean to hijack, I only have the green reef. Carey recently got some blue reef though.
I would search through the threads and see what catches your eye OP!

this is what im running in her 40 breeder fowlr tank. top to bottom.

2 bulb t5ho
200 watt fluval heater
fluval 405 (its what we had cycled for sw)
about 55 lbs lr
korilia 750
and about 40lbs black aquarium sand for the substrate. gave us about a 1.5~2" bed.

we currently have a coral life hydrometer but the spectrometer is on the to get list.
we have an rodi unit for top offs and to mix our own salt in a brute 20 gallon trash can. a maxijet 900 power head set up as a utility pump to mix and transfer water to the tank for pwc

hope that helped along with halfmoon's input.

Not doing the 40 breeder anymore sticking with a 29gallon for now, dont have room for a 40gal in my room

Back
Top Bottom