need help with 125 gal setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

not_again

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Im buying a 125gallon tank Saturday and need help with a list of inexpensive items ill need for a reef tank. I want to go with a 40 gallon sump and later on down the road use my 65 gallon as a sump. Im just looking for ideas as in. lighting, pumps, how much sand I'd need for 4 inches on bottom, and skimmers. Also would it be possible to use an aqua clear 110 in my sump as a skimmer if I cut the tube and make it shorter? Will 2 aqueon acp 950's work enough for the flow? Can I run hoses over the back of the tank if its tempered or should I skip the sump process and use hobs like ive been doing with my 65 gallon?

Im in dire need of help since im upgrading to almost double the size I have now and ive never used a sump.

Im buying a 125gallon tank Saturday and need help with a list of inexpensive items ill need for a reef tank. I want to go with a 40 gallon sump and later on down the road use my 65 gallon as a sump. Im just looking for ideas as in. lighting, pumps, how much sand I'd need for 4 inches on bottom, and skimmers. Also would it be possible to use an aqua clear 110 in my sump as a skimmer if I cut the tube and make it shorter? Will 2 aqueon acp 950's work enough for the flow? Can I run hoses over the back of the tank if its tempered or should I skip the sump process and use hobs like ive been doing with my 65 gallon?

Im in dire need of help since im upgrading to almost double the size I have now and ive never used a sump.

I am in the middle of doing a 135g build. Mine is acrylic with an overflow. I made a custom 45g sump from old acrylic. I have a bubble magus nac6 protein skimmer 1800gph mag drive return pump 2 4x8 filter socks. 2 dimmable full spectrum 120w led lights. Rodi unit. I am going with filter sand to make up a base. Prob around 120lbs + And some reg sand. As far as rock. I have so that I picked up off a beach in Florida. I not using any PVC. In using the flex pipe. Les restriction on your return pump. The elbows in the PVC make the gph go down a lot. Sorry a talked about my tank but thought it could help. Mabe well help each other. Lol.

Thanks for the info. I like hearing about other peoples builds. Im thinking of doing 3 sets of leds though. I was thinking about getting some barnacles from the rigs I fish since I have a camp in grand isle, la. They'll make a nice addition to the tank since they are filter feeders. Ill just have to try and clean them because they dont come with a nice smell. I also catch live shrimp and they are nice sand sifters. They burying in the sand until its feeding time then rebury themselves.

Back
Top Bottom