Need Help With Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RedfireSVT

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok I'm getting back into saltwater(it's been about 7 years) and I have some questions on lighting. I have a nice 55inch tank with a canopy top and I bought a light fixture with lights from a local pet store but it says DO NOT use with a canopy top. I assume because of the heat. I can make it fit under the canopy but the little cooling fans it has on each end would be covered at both ends. I could drill holes in the sides of the canopy top to let air in but I really hate to do that. Of course the back of the top is open and the guy at the pet store suggested I put a small fan back there. This light seems like over kill. I will have live rock in the tank but mostly just trigger fish and maybe a grouper. Back when I had my 30 gallon saltwater tank I had a canopy and I just used a simple fixture with the two bulbs for saltwater without any problems. This fixture with bulbs was $170. Is there anything out there that might be a little easier to install or that might work with my canopy top?
Thanks.

Did you mean 55 gallon?

If you do not want to drill holes in the sides of the canopy, then yes, I would suggest somehow relocating the fans to the back of the fixture or the tank will overheat for sure. I was in the same boat and did not want to drill in my canopy so I shopped around and found a fixture that had the fans in the back of it. (see sig)

yes sorry, it is a 55 gallon. where did you get your light and what did it cost?

Depending on what you plan on doing with the tank (fish/corals ect..) you may not need much lighting. I'm assuming that this is a PC fixture?.?

They do generate a lot of heat and should not be put under a canopy. You need good air flow over the surface of the water anyway to maintain PH levels. I'm guessing there are legs that came with the fixture. I would use those and skip the canopy/hood completely.

yes sorry, it is a 55 gallon. where did you get your light and what did it cost?

I apologize, I did no see this question yesterday. I got mine from Marine Depot out in California for $300 w/ free shipping. I use the legs that came with mine. A few people complain that the legs on the Current fixtures are flimsy and feel that the legs will slide out and off of the edge of the tank frame. This can be easily fixed on these fixtures and others by glueing an extra piece of "L" shaped plastic to each leg to make the foot of the leg cradle the tank frame instead of just resting on it. Reps? hehehe

Zig had a good question. What are your long term plans for the tank?

the tank will be a FOWLR. mostly trigger fish and maybe a grouper. the problem is i want the canopy because it looks better and the tank is going to be front and center so i really want the canopy. these Current USA SunDial 48" T5 HO 4x54W say they can be used under a canopy. if i can get away with less lighting thats great but i want everything to be healthy and all the color i can get out of the tank and the fish.

It fits under my canopy...but barely. Make sure to measure the inside of your canopy before purchasing any fixture. Also, the fans are in the back of the fixture. So far, I have not had any issues with it. I was a little worried about having the timers built in but so far, so good. One plug for all and the LED moonlights look pretty good at night. This fixture would be more than a enough light for a FOWLR system. You could even add some basic corals down the road.

As far as I know, the undulate trigger is about the only trigger that will be happy in a tank smaller than a 70G. I also can't think of a grouper that would be happy in there either.

Well, they get up to a foot long. Personally, I wouldn't put one in my 55, especially with a grouper. Depending on which fish grows faster, the trigger might be an expensive snack.

i've had niger and undulated triggers and they did great in a 55gal. i've also had a mineatis and panther grouper. when they get to big i trade them.

i would love to have a 200gal aquarium but that isn't an option. i start with very small fish and when they outgrow the tank i trade them for something else and start over.

A lot of people take this view but the fact of the matter is fish that are going to get larger then your tank allows for will not be happy in a smaller tank even while they are small. It is best to purchase fish that your tank can handle and care for them accordingly.

As for the lighting issue. Since you want to use a canopy (I agree with you on the look) and don't need a lot of light T5 may be the answer for you. Since this is a 55g tank you could easily get away with 2x54W T5s. They produce great light and not a lot of heat. Also they are fairly energy efficient and the bulbs have a good lifespan at 12+ months. TEK makes a great retro kit for $118 that would work with your canopy. Get a 10,000K and an Actinic bulb and you would have a great looking tank. All for less then $200

Back
Top Bottom