Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-22-2008, 04:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Need Help With Lighting

Ok I'm getting back into saltwater(it's been about 7 years) and I have some questions on lighting. I have a nice 55inch tank with a canopy top and I bought a light fixture with lights from a local pet store but it says DO NOT use with a canopy top. I assume because of the heat. I can make it fit under the canopy but the little cooling fans it has on each end would be covered at both ends. I could drill holes in the sides of the canopy top to let air in but I really hate to do that. Of course the back of the top is open and the guy at the pet store suggested I put a small fan back there. This light seems like over kill. I will have live rock in the tank but mostly just trigger fish and maybe a grouper. Back when I had my 30 gallon saltwater tank I had a canopy and I just used a simple fixture with the two bulbs for saltwater without any problems. This fixture with bulbs was $170. Is there anything out there that might be a little easier to install or that might work with my canopy top?
Thanks.

Old 09-22-2008, 04:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Did you mean 55 gallon?

If you do not want to drill holes in the sides of the canopy, then yes, I would suggest somehow relocating the fans to the back of the fixture or the tank will overheat for sure. I was in the same boat and did not want to drill in my canopy so I shopped around and found a fixture that had the fans in the back of it. (see sig)

Old 09-22-2008, 04:49 PM   #3

yes sorry, it is a 55 gallon. where did you get your light and what did it cost?
Old 09-23-2008, 05:34 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Depending on what you plan on doing with the tank (fish/corals ect..) you may not need much lighting. I'm assuming that this is a PC fixture?.?

They do generate a lot of heat and should not be put under a canopy. You need good air flow over the surface of the water anyway to maintain PH levels. I'm guessing there are legs that came with the fixture. I would use those and skip the canopy/hood completely.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 05:41 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedfireSVT View Post
yes sorry, it is a 55 gallon. where did you get your light and what did it cost?
I apologize, I did no see this question yesterday. I got mine from Marine Depot out in California for $300 w/ free shipping. I use the legs that came with mine. A few people complain that the legs on the Current fixtures are flimsy and feel that the legs will slide out and off of the edge of the tank frame. This can be easily fixed on these fixtures and others by glueing an extra piece of "L" shaped plastic to each leg to make the foot of the leg cradle the tank frame instead of just resting on it. Reps? hehehe

Zig had a good question. What are your long term plans for the tank?
Old 09-23-2008, 06:40 PM   #6

the tank will be a FOWLR. mostly trigger fish and maybe a grouper. the problem is i want the canopy because it looks better and the tank is going to be front and center so i really want the canopy. these Current USA SunDial 48" T5 HO 4x54W say they can be used under a canopy. if i can get away with less lighting thats great but i want everything to be healthy and all the color i can get out of the tank and the fish.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:54 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

It fits under my canopy...but barely. Make sure to measure the inside of your canopy before purchasing any fixture. Also, the fans are in the back of the fixture. So far, I have not had any issues with it. I was a little worried about having the timers built in but so far, so good. One plug for all and the LED moonlights look pretty good at night. This fixture would be more than a enough light for a FOWLR system. You could even add some basic corals down the road.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:54 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
As far as I know, the undulate trigger is about the only trigger that will be happy in a tank smaller than a 70G. I also can't think of a grouper that would be happy in there either.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:19 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

No Niger Trigger?
Old 09-23-2008, 07:22 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Well, they get up to a foot long. Personally, I wouldn't put one in my 55, especially with a grouper. Depending on which fish grows faster, the trigger might be an expensive snack.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com