Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-21-2009, 09:56 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Need help with stocking ideas

I am new to SW cycling a 45 gallon corner tank. Most of my sand I got from an established tank and all the live rock. As I move my rock around I am finding all sorts of new life from sponge, soft corals, to feather dusters. I am trying to research fish, crabs and shrimp that will be reef safe. The fish I was considering was a sixline wrasse and a royal gamma. Now I find out that the wrasse will eat the feather dusters. I am looking for 3 small fish that won't out grow the tank, reef safe, and will accept prepared foods.
TIA

Old 07-21-2009, 10:06 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy13 View Post
The fish I was considering was a sixline wrasse and a royal gamma. Now I find out that the wrasse will eat the feather dusters. I am looking for 3 small fish that won't out grow the tank, reef safe, and will accept prepared foods.
TIA
I love my 6-line and he doesn't mess with the feather dusters (all very small, came as hitchhikers). I have seen a dramatic reduction in copepods and small bristle worms though.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:12 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Strange thing in this tank I don't see any bristleworms. My little 8 gallon that I have cycling up for a QT is full of them. I am thinking of trapping a couple and moving them to my big tank if I don't find any soon. I have seen first hand what a bristleworm and know to be careful.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:39 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy13 View Post
Strange thing in this tank I don't see any bristleworms. My little 8 gallon that I have cycling up for a QT is full of them. I am thinking of trapping a couple and moving them to my big tank if I don't find any soon. I have seen first hand what a bristleworm and know to be careful.
I would love to not see bristleworms in my main tank. They are good for cleanup but they scare my 3 year old.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:04 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

What care is my sponges in my tank going to require? The one person I got some of my rock from didn't go into taking care of them just told me what they were and to watch out if they start to die. They look like ball sponges and bee sponge. With the sponge in my tank most likely all dwarf angelfish will be out of the question.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:53 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

The more I read about sixline wrasses the more I wonder what other fish can be put with them since most are aggressive, also what type of shrimp and crabs will be safe with them in the tank. In my 8 gallon I have an emerald crab and some peppermint shrimp and thought I would like the same in my 45 gallon. My tank is ready for fish now but still can't decide.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:14 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

You should check out Liveaquaria they have a great database on marine and freshwater specimens. Here is the Link.http://liveaquaria.com/
Tons of info at this site, I love going thru fishes with my daughters.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:20 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have been to that site several times for stocking ideas but still am having problems making up my mind. I do a lot of cross referencing trying to find out which fish might have problems with other fish. My tank is covered but not completely and I noticed several cases of wrasses jumping. I am looking for 3 fish that is reef safe.

If my live rock hadn't had so many corals already establish on them I would go with an angelfish. It had several hermit crabs in it as well as starfish and bristleworms.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:32 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can cover the top with what they call egg crate which actually is fluorescent lighting diffuser which looks like this and is available at HD. This will help with oxygen exchange and keep the critters in the tank.Malcolite Plastics | Parabolic Louvers
Old 07-24-2009, 10:54 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hello Joy13, have you thought about cardinal fishes like a PJ cardinal or a banjii cardinal. these are pretty fish and are very peaceful.

Tags
stocking, stocking ideas

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com