Need help with stocking ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joy13

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am new to SW cycling a 45 gallon corner tank. Most of my sand I got from an established tank and all the live rock. As I move my rock around I am finding all sorts of new life from sponge, soft corals, to feather dusters. I am trying to research fish, crabs and shrimp that will be reef safe. The fish I was considering was a sixline wrasse and a royal gamma. Now I find out that the wrasse will eat the feather dusters. I am looking for 3 small fish that won't out grow the tank, reef safe, and will accept prepared foods.
TIA

The fish I was considering was a sixline wrasse and a royal gamma. Now I find out that the wrasse will eat the feather dusters. I am looking for 3 small fish that won't out grow the tank, reef safe, and will accept prepared foods.
TIA

I love my 6-line and he doesn't mess with the feather dusters (all very small, came as hitchhikers). I have seen a dramatic reduction in copepods and small bristle worms though.

Strange thing in this tank I don't see any bristleworms. My little 8 gallon that I have cycling up for a QT is full of them. I am thinking of trapping a couple and moving them to my big tank if I don't find any soon. I have seen first hand what a bristleworm and know to be careful.

Strange thing in this tank I don't see any bristleworms. My little 8 gallon that I have cycling up for a QT is full of them. I am thinking of trapping a couple and moving them to my big tank if I don't find any soon. I have seen first hand what a bristleworm and know to be careful.

I would love to not see bristleworms in my main tank. They are good for cleanup but they scare my 3 year old.

What care is my sponges in my tank going to require? The one person I got some of my rock from didn't go into taking care of them just told me what they were and to watch out if they start to die. They look like ball sponges and bee sponge. With the sponge in my tank most likely all dwarf angelfish will be out of the question.

The more I read about sixline wrasses the more I wonder what other fish can be put with them since most are aggressive, also what type of shrimp and crabs will be safe with them in the tank. In my 8 gallon I have an emerald crab and some peppermint shrimp and thought I would like the same in my 45 gallon. My tank is ready for fish now but still can't decide.

You should check out Liveaquaria they have a great database on marine and freshwater specimens. Here is the Link.http://liveaquaria.com/
Tons of info at this site, I love going thru fishes with my daughters.

I have been to that site several times for stocking ideas but still am having problems making up my mind. I do a lot of cross referencing trying to find out which fish might have problems with other fish. My tank is covered but not completely and I noticed several cases of wrasses jumping. I am looking for 3 fish that is reef safe.

If my live rock hadn't had so many corals already establish on them I would go with an angelfish. It had several hermit crabs in it as well as starfish and bristleworms.

Hello Joy13, have you thought about cardinal fishes like a PJ cardinal or a banjii cardinal. these are pretty fish and are very peaceful.

I think a sixline might harrass a royal gramma.They have the potential to become quite aggressive little fish.

I ended up with a royal gamma today so now I need to decide what fish will be next. I have thought about the PJ fish but thought they were more of a schooling fish. The little store I go to doesn't have a lot of different fish that they normally stock so if I really want something other than they have I will have to special order it.
Are there any dwarf angelfish that are reef safe?

Yellow watchman gobys are reef safe and stay small. As for thincat's suggestion, you could try like 3 PJ's they stay small and are colorful, active fish. They don't have to be in a school, but they are alot happier if they have some buddys.

I ended up with a royal gamma today so now I need to decide what fish will be next. I have thought about the PJ fish but thought they were more of a schooling fish. The little store I go to doesn't have a lot of different fish that they normally stock so if I really want something other than they have I will have to special order it.
Are there any dwarf angelfish that are reef safe?

No dwarf angel is a sure bet. Some are reportedly more "reef-safe" than others, like the coral beauty or flame... but the potential is always there that they will pick at corals. Others, like the lemonpeel or eibli, reportedly almost never work out in a reef.

I am planning on adding another fish in about 2 or 3 weeks. I do like the goby, are they safe with bristleworms since I have a couple in there that are pretty big about 5 inches give or take a little. I would like to find one fish that isn't real shy.

A forktail blenny might be a good choice as well.

Once I get a list of fish I will go to the LFS and find out if they can get me what I want, I know that I better have a 3rd and 4th choice. We are going to be on a first name bases soon.

When I googled firefish there was 2 different ones one was a purple, red and white and the other one was more copper and white.

Back
Top Bottom