Need help with the big swap!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

michealprater

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well on March 27th I get my new 150 gallon. I will be placing it in the exact same spot my 100 sits now and will move its contents of course. Here is my current plan of action. Please throw out any advice you have.

I will put all the live rock and pump the water out into 2 or 3 large , brand new trash cans. I will inspect each rock and use a kalkwasser paste to officially kill the manjanos I have been fighting for years. Once the water level is low enought I will then catch the fish(4 of them) and place them in styrophome containers along with the corals, snails and hermits. I plan on trying to get some clear tubing to attach to a powerhead to move water. I could use ideas on that. Once all that is done I will scoop out the sand and place it in the bottom of the empty 150 and possibly add some new sand. I prefer a 2" sand bed. I will then move the 100 and its stand and canopy. Then I will setup the new tank, aquascape the live rock. Pump old water back in. Add 50 gallons of new fresh saltwater. Clean power heads and skimmer, retrofit lighting into new canopy, Then acclimate fish corals hermits and snails into new tank. Then I will cross my fingers and hope that using the original sand, rock and water will avoid the tank cycling again.

What do you think?

I would use rubbermaid containers vs trash cans. They are shallower and easier to drop power heads in and more surface area. If you use trash cans make sure you get the BRUTE and not the roughnecks. Roughnecks can leach things into your wtaer. And once your done you can reuse these for tank makeup water. I would have more than you think because I always seem to run out of room. WIth the longer rubbermaids, it will also hold more water, and if you can get all your fish and corals in one container you can drop a heater and a few powerheads and you have more time to work with.
WIth you NEW tank water, make sure you mix it the night before and get it to the proper salinity and temp before adding it to your tank. You shouldnt get much of a cycle.
AND ABOVE all PLEASE make more tank water than you need!! You never know what might happen!!

One more thing. How deep is your sand bed?? I would personally get ALL new sand and only use a little bit of your old sand to seed your new bed. THis is of course if you have a DSB. With a DSB you take a chance of disturbing and releasing sulfur.
Also drain some water BEFORE you move corals or rock into the rubbermaid. This should be the cleanest water and what you want to drop your FISH and corals into!!

Good advice. 10 kudos.

Do they make rubbermaid containers that are 50 gallon capacity? I dont want several container laying everywhere.

I wont get roughnecks.

I will drain water down until I have to remove stuff.

I do not use DSBs,(not that I object to them) I used to on my older tank, now I have had great success with 2 inch sandbed, plus I like the looks of it better. I am not sure that disturbing a 2" sandbed will release sulfur, but I could be wrong. Keep in mind I have been keeping tanks for about 4 years now, so the basics are out of the way. Aquarium advice took my knowledge to the next level. :mrgreen:

I have some i got at walmart that hold about 35 gallons. (about $10) I guess you would only need 1 or 2 and you could use the trash can Idea that hold 50 for ther remainder of your water and rocks. I used my sump once as a place to keep them too. Saves on buying a container. You can get the smaller ones at walmart for $5 that hold about 15 gallons and I used them for my reef supplies in storage when I was done!! Made the place MUCH neater.

Yes they have rubermaid containers that are 50 gallon. They have them at walmart. They are the ones that are longer. Alot of people use them for storing there artificial christmas trees. But they are 50 gallons.

How do they compare in price to trash cans? I can get trash cans for a couple of bucks. Keep in mind they are just for the rock and water. Corals will be in syrophome containers. Plus they rubbermaid totes and trashcans are made from the same plastic.

Michael,

I got a couple of 20 gal Brute totes at Lowes for around $10-$12 each last year. I use one for mixing water changes.

I use a PH to move the water from the tote to the sump. Works great. I brought the PH to the store to make sure I got the right size tubing.

Using almost all of the old water, the LS and LR should prevent you from having to cycle again.

this may be a little off the subject but what the heck are you doing with the 100 gallon? oh yeah and i definatly have to come see this new 150! thats awesome congrats man!

Micheal,
I have gotten lots of advice from you in the past and know your knowledgeable!! Just didnt know what kind of sand substrate you had. This is JMO but I would only use half that sand and replace with new, since there may be so much detris in there. But I have heard of people doing it both ways with lots of success, and you dont have to worry about sulfur as far as I know.

Kribbz, I am going to clean up the 100 gallon and sell it to someone pretty cheap. Do you want dibs? What is your avatar? Its blurry. I think it is a oscar. Am I right? You still in school?

Mrrrkva, I think I may take your advice on the sand. I just want to use as much of it as possible because of the life it has.

yeah its an oscar. oh by the way on the tank let me know what you want for it and i'll see what i can do beacause i am in dire need of a new tank. oh and yeah i'm still in school for another 50 some days. then it's out into the "REAL" world. but let me know about the tank. kyle

Back
Top Bottom