need info - Algae during cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishmania

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have started the cycle on my tank 4 days ago with the dead shrimp theory know i am getting green algae built up on the silicone that hols the tank together in all 4 corners is this normal

fishmania said:
I have started the cycle on my tank 4 days ago with the dead shrimp theory know i am getting green algae built up on the silicone that hols the tank together in all 4 corners is this normal

Yes you will more than likely see red ,green, and brown algaes come and go during the cycle

fishmania said:

Cycle can take anywhere from 3-8 weeks but most commonly about 4 weeks

Yep perfectly normal

Its actually a good sign I believe

I think it means that nitrates are high which means you have or had high enough ammonia to ensure a good cycle.

And cycle length can vary a lot

I started with live rock and live sand so my cycle was pretty short. After 4 days the shrimp in my tank was pretty much gone.

How does your shrimp look after these 4 days??

K that's good

Have you checked your water parameters??

What size tank do you have??

You need to make sure your ammonia spikes high enough to start the build up of beneficial bacteria.

I had no algae whatsoever during my cycle. One of the things algae needs is light, and your light should not be on at all during the cycle..... if it's on, shut it off.

I checked the ammonia today and it is at 1.0 ppm wondering if i should take the shrimp out and i also have live sand and live rock in there to. It is a 45 gallon tank with can filter.

ForumRunner_20121005_152021.jpg

Didn't do the shrimp . But you don't have mush rock. I have a 310gal with 258 lb of rock and 200 lb of sand. Just let it sit for six weeks did the water tests all 0 all was still 8 and cl was 400. I now dose morning and night of alk to keep it at 9. That's 40 a day. And I like big tanks. Here's a pic of my leather doing great.

Attachments

• image-254973830.jpg
    image-254973830.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 62
Fish mania you need another shrimp in there. You're ammonia needs to spike higher.

And if you can, get more rock. Live or base.

Good start though.

And liberty you are in a whole different league, great tank!!!!

And you might want to shorten the pick up on your filter so it doesn't suck up and sand.

Back
Top Bottom