Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-15-2006, 05:03 PM   #11
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
Black sailfin blennies are great. Pink spotted gobies are wonderul also.

melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 08:57 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via Yahoo to vsnsofadrgn
im goin for the clown fish pair and get some interesting corals. the xenia that someone suggested would be great. i have a yellow watchman goby, he had a shrimp friend, but he dissappered. i will be gettin another tho, it was so cool to watch them as a pair.

visions of a dragon

hope dies last
vsnsofadrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 05:30 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak
Hawkfish are great.... they will turn and follow you as you walk past the tank and they aren't too shy most of the time. Big thing, though, is that they will eat shrimp in your tank.... they like em.
NewFishGuy aka. Robert
"Nunquam Non Paratus"

Vote for AquariumAdvice
NewFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 09:15 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Lawnmower blenny is my vote. It perches on rocks like a lizard then swims around the tank kissing everything he can find for food.

Clownfish always have my vote; especially when they are coupled with an anenome.

Firefish gobys; although shy, once they are comfortable they are always swimming mid-water; darting from here to there.
good11s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 01:46 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak
responses to multiple questions:

i have 2 fire shrimp, 2 cleaner shrimp, and 3 peppermint shrimp. one fire shrimp is very agressive towards all the others. the peppermint shrimp are usually the most shy, the fire and cleaners are usually walking around all over my rocks.

as for the high fin goby... mine is a total wuss. it hides all the time, basically only coming out to eat. however, at certain times he will come out and survey the area around his burrow... usually only traveling about 2-3 inches from his home. no, i do not have a pistol shrimp in there with him yet.

for shrimp gobies, i have heard good things about the randalli's goby ( http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...cfm?pCatId=197 )... but my opinion would be to get one of the sandsifting gobys, as they tend to be out in the open more... well, thats based on my observations at the store.

on a related note, if you are concerned about the stability of your rock work, you can build a pvc structure to suppor your rocks, and bury it in the sand. the pvc will hold up your rocks and still permit your livestock to burrow in the sand below the rock without jeopardizing the strucuture. i used 3 inch pvc couplings, and stood them up on end. they are just deep enough to be covered by my sand bed.

55gal FOWLR,
DIY stand and Hood,
AquaC Remora,
Coralife Lunar Aqualight (4x65W),
60 LB Hirocks Base Rock, 40 LB LR 50/50 Keys/Gulf
150 LB Playsand (~3-4 in DSB)
2 x Blood Red Fire Shrimp, 2 x Cleaner Shrimp
2 x Black and White Percula Clown, 1 x Orange Spotted Blenny, 1 x Red Stripe High Fin Goby
mp3z24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com