Need interesting things for clients to watch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rhetoric

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm finally getting to the point where I can begin adding some different things to my tank.

It is in my office reception area for my clients to view while they wait for their appointment. My first priority with this tank is to keep it in the best possible condition and quality I can. My second priority is for my clientele to be entertained.

I now have a Sixline Wrasse and a Cleaner Shrimp. Both of these "do things". The Sixline is constantly zipping in and our of holes in the live rock and the Shrimp is entertaining just standing there being himself.

I was hoping for some suggestions on fish/crabs/shrimp/coral/whatever that will "do something" and not always hide of just sit there. My clients don't get to stare into the tank for hours like I do to watch everything. They need immediate gratification.

I almost got a Diamond Watchmen Goby after seeing him at the LFS because of the cool stuff he does with the substrate, but then the guy there said they could unbalance my LR if it was not on the floor of the tank (which it isn't).

So, what do you think? What are some reef-safe species that are interesting to watch almost any time? (especially during the day)

Thanks!

WELCOME TO AA!!!

You could go with a few of these, they like to school:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?pCatId=1634
I believe it is best to get them in odd numbers, for the most part.

Possibly a clown fish - if there are kids, they might like to see Nemo in real life...might keep their attention for a little while.
Maybe get a mated pair.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?pCatId=27
That should get you some color too. I hear sometimes the clowns will school with the Pseudochromis.

I do have 4 Green Chromis in the tank now. They do school and that is somewhat interesting, but that's pretty much all they do.

I like the clownfish idea since the kids will ooo and ahhh over them, so I think they are a must.

Thanks for the suggestions and the warm welcome!

Let me know if you think of any others.

Now that you mention it. I like these "shrimp" gobies.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?pCatId=1852
They can form a relation ship with the pistol shrimp (they sometimes make a snapping noise). They fish brings the nearly blind shrimp food and they will bot guard their burrow. I believe they should be ok with your other goby.

Thanks for the ideas. I had thought about a pistol shrimp/goby combo but it sounds like they just spend a lot of time in their burrow. Do you have any experience with them? Will they "entertain" the clients on a daily basis?

I got a suggestion of a hawkfish from someone else. They said they will perch on a rock and watch people outside of the tank which sounds like it could be interesting. Any experience with these?

Thanks again for the suggestions!

I don't have any experience with the pistol shrimp/gobys, but I will get them in the near future.

i have a red stripe high-fin goby... which is a shrimp goby. basically, it just hangs out in its burrow all day, unless i feed the tank. kinda boring to watch.

i would second the clownfish suggestion, especially a pair. im not sure about your water movement, but with your lighting, you should be able to get an anemone... hopefully the clowns will host!

fire shrimp are cool to watch, and they are bright red so they really grab your attention.

pulsing xenia are fun to watch too... they really amaze people since they are corals, but most people will think they are a plant.

basically, anything bright and moving will amuse people in a waiting room.

~mike

i have a red stripe high-fin goby
That's to one I'm getting. Do you have a shrimp with it also?
fire shrimp are cool to watch, and they are bright red so they really grab your attention.
I agree with the striking color of the fire shrimp, but they tend to be pretty shy, at least mine was. They also will clean fish, sometimes, like a cleaner shrimp.
basically, anything bright and moving will amuse people in a waiting room.
LOL! I definitely agree there!
i would second the clownfish suggestion, especially a pair.
Great idea on the pair as well.

Thanks for the ideas. I'll look into the fire shrimp. You think they'll do ok with the cleaner I already have?

mp3z24 said:
basically, anything bright and moving will amuse people in a waiting room. ~mike

Exactly. My problem is that I am not experienced enough to know when something will be bright and moving. I can look at the pictures online all day but can't tell whether something that is bright will also be interesting. I appreciate your and everyone else's suggestions.

I had a cleaner and a fire shrimp in the same tank. They usually just stuck to their own sides. I never saw and aggression.

im goin for the clown fish pair and get some interesting corals. the xenia that someone suggested would be great. i have a yellow watchman goby, he had a shrimp friend, but he dissappered. :( i will be gettin another tho, it was so cool to watch them as a pair.

Hawkfish are great.... they will turn and follow you as you walk past the tank and they aren't too shy most of the time. Big thing, though, is that they will eat shrimp in your tank.... they like em.

Lawnmower blenny is my vote. It perches on rocks like a lizard then swims around the tank kissing everything he can find for food.

Clownfish always have my vote; especially when they are coupled with an anenome.

Firefish gobys; although shy, once they are comfortable they are always swimming mid-water; darting from here to there.

responses to multiple questions:

i have 2 fire shrimp, 2 cleaner shrimp, and 3 peppermint shrimp. one fire shrimp is very agressive towards all the others. the peppermint shrimp are usually the most shy, the fire and cleaners are usually walking around all over my rocks.

as for the high fin goby... mine is a total wuss. it hides all the time, basically only coming out to eat. however, at certain times he will come out and survey the area around his burrow... usually only traveling about 2-3 inches from his home. no, i do not have a pistol shrimp in there with him yet.

for shrimp gobies, i have heard good things about the randalli's goby ( http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=197 )... but my opinion would be to get one of the sandsifting gobys, as they tend to be out in the open more... well, thats based on my observations at the store.

on a related note, if you are concerned about the stability of your rock work, you can build a pvc structure to suppor your rocks, and bury it in the sand. the pvc will hold up your rocks and still permit your livestock to burrow in the sand below the rock without jeopardizing the strucuture. i used 3 inch pvc couplings, and stood them up on end. they are just deep enough to be covered by my sand bed.

~mike

Back
Top Bottom