Need opinions on a good protein skimmer please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Melissa716

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys, moving along now and wondering if I could get some suggestions for a good protein skimmer for a 100 gallon tank and 20 g sump. Need to upgrade have a cheapie.
Also was told by the lfs that a deep sand bed is a breeding ground for parasites. He's been doing it for 40 yrs and is adamant that if you have more than a very thin substrate, you're doing it wrong (?- mine is 2-3")
Last question, does everyone have their lights on a timer and if so when should I set them to turn on and off?
Feeling mixed up, please any suggestions...

well i would recommend a reef octopus skimmer i have one for my sump and it works GREAT

When we researched protein skimmers we narrowed our choices to reef octopus and ASM. Went with reef octopus 8 because it was on sale and we love it. Super effective, tons of nasties every couple of days. It is rather large in it's profile though so make sure you have the sump space for it. The ASM g3 was a little more slender.
Our lights are on timers. The actinics and the 50/50's come on at 9am. At 10 the 10,000k come on. The 10,000k go off at 8 and the others shut off at 9pm.

i've actually been doing alot of research on skimmers as i want to DIY my own. there really is no better skimmer its all about the pump and how much air it pumps in mixed with the contact time that the bubbles are in the water for.
reef octopus are generally the skimmers of choice though

Thanks. I'm thinking of a reef octopus 6" pinwheel in sump. Right now I have a seaclone and it was used so I'm a little worried.
Anyone know anything about the substrate question I asked above?

people have been very successful with deep sand beds. if done correctly they are a great nitrifacation process. some peopel go bare bottom because the stubstrate does not trap any organics or organizms. its all up to you what you plan on doing and there are pros and cons to everything

don't clean a deep sand bed thats bad news to do. let it build its bacteria and do its job

what d you mean by everything? with regards to the lights on a timer? its good to have it come on and off wit hthe timer yes

go with the octopus, seems to have a smoother flow of bubbles into the collection cup, and from what i've heard are easier to adjust

octopus is a better skimmer. octopus, MSX, and SWC are all basically the same skimmer. ASM and coralife are no comparison.
there are huge differences in skimmers. mainly the pumps, but design and materials used in construction are also factors.

I've got an ASM G1-X skimmer for my system, 90 gallon tank with a 20 gallon sump. It's rated for up to 150g and does a great job for my tank. Not super expensive either.

When we were researching before we bought our octopus it sounded like the ASM was more difficult to adjust according to the reviews. Our octopus (rated to 250 gph) made skim almost immediately. It is easy to adjust and easy to empty. The only complaints I have are the sheer enormity of the skimmer and the directions SUCK.

Thanks for all the opinions, I ordered the Octopus from Aquariumguys.com, just seemed like the way to go. Im excited to get a skimmer that actually works.
Have any of you guys bought copepods & put them in your fuge. Is that a good idea?
(Maya - thanks for the info on lights, I put mine on a timer based on what you told me. Tanks doing great.)

Back
Top Bottom