Need Refugium/Sump for 75 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That sump is way too small to be of use. It would have to be a pretty small skimmer to fit in a 10" O.D. compartment.

Thanks for everyone 2 cents! I will try my best to build!

I know a 20B was mentioned, but I'd hate to do all this work and not be optimal... So what would be an optimal size (by gallons) sump for my 75? I know a 20 Long was mentioned, but is that optimal or should I try bigger? I can do a giant water change to lighten the load and remove the middle divider/brace to have a 36"L x 17"W x 21"H hole. According to this site (Aquarium Sizes and Weights Chart) a 20 Long is 30"L x 12"W x 12"H and a 30 Long is 36" x 18" x 12" and a 40 breeder is 36" x 18" x 16"...wondering if I should do a 40 Breeder or if it not really a big deal? Like I said, I'd just hate to do all this work and not get optimal results...

Thanks!!

If you could fit a 40 breeder, yes, that would be a better choice, however, it's exactly the same front to back dimension as your display, so I doubt very highly it will fit inside the stand. There is no ideal size for a sump to be. It's got to hold whatever you want to put in it, so the largest you can fit is the right answer.

I don't know if you've decided what to do for the sump or not yet but bigger is better. This depends on your stand as I'm sure your already aware. I have a 55g sump under my 90g and wish I had more space in it. You may also be able to modify your stand depending on how it's designed. There is also the option to custom build a sump, either DIY or have one built. I have a friend who's stand limited his options with a vertical brace in the centre so he essentially built 2 sumps connected together at the back (divider/support had a 3" space at the rear) so it's a u shape. He did it all himself out of acrylic.

That sump is way too small to be of use. It would have to be a pretty small skimmer to fit in a 10" O.D. compartment.

hate to barge in on someone else thread, BUT I have been eyong this sump as well, the psk 75 which is 20 inches wide. This would be for my 60g tank which is only 24 inches wide so i cant fit anything larger underneath. I was using a 16g tall tank as the sump but was looking into other options.

Wouldnt this sump be better than nothing?

Thanks

hate to barge in on someone else thread, BUT I have been eyong this sump as well, the psk 75 which is 20 inches wide. This would be for my 60g tank which is only 24 inches wide so i cant fit anything larger underneath. I was using a 16g tall tank as the sump but was looking into other options.

Wouldnt this sump be better than nothing?

Thanks

Is just using a 20 long and doing the baffles yourself out of the question?

Oh a straight regular 20 wont even fit! Its 24 inches wide and the inside of the stand should be about 23 inches. The 16g tall I was using just fit inside as it was.

Just looking for options and opinions. I found the r75 on Amazon for like $132 so its a good deal, but curious about Mr X's statement. :)

so i cant fit anything larger underneath.

Thanks

Based on this statement yes it's better than nothing. If you can't fit anything larger then only other options are getting a new stand or putting a larger sump next to the tank. I would work with what I already have if I were you.

So I finally got my sump put together and it was too easy! It goes as follows:
20L tank.
C-siphon overflow (800gph) that runs into a filter sock in said 20L tank.
Next a bubble magus BM180A skimmer.
Then a "refugium" environment containing liverock, macroalgae and bristleworms that hitchhiked on the algae...in a pond basket. Dome lamp with plant light clamped over it.
Next are two eshopps foam pads used as baffles.
Finally a sedra 700gph return pump....

So there it is, the lazy non-handy persons sump...and so far so good!

Any thoughts/changes/additions? Was going to put carbon in the filter sock...

20140316_235024.jpg

Thanks for everyones help and input!!

Looks good but I have one suggestion, try to get it so the light for your macro doesn't shine or minimally shines on your skimmer. The light on the skimmer will cause algae and coralline algae to grow inside it which will reduce the effectiveness and require more frequent cleaning.

I would not use the filter pads as a partition. you will have to wash them out on a regular basis or you'll see a rise in nitrate, and all the pods you want to get to the DT will be washed down the drain as well.

I was planning on rinsing them...but didn't think about the pods...crap...thanks for the idea lfs!

Filter pads have been removed, I figure I don't need them if the make shift fuge is held in by the pond basket. Good news! My big problem, high nitrates that were between 160-80 are now down to 20 with a week of sump and good skimmer usage! Woo hoo!!! Thanks again everyone!

Back
Top Bottom