Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-25-2014, 07:52 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist
I agree with doug... sounds rough but its actually really simple and will save you a ton of money. he listed a couple good skimmers but if you can get the bigger one

50 gal reef,sump,reef octopus 110,solar flare 108 watt, carbon gfo duel reactor.

jeremy upshir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:21 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's a shame you're not in the Jersey/PA area...I'd lend you a hand with making a sump, since I'll be making one for myself anyway pretty soon...

As long as you follow the "measure twice, cut once" adage, you should have glass that fits perfectly in your sump and just run a clean bead of silicone (aquarium safe) to seal it in. Melevsreef.com - DIY Glass Sump & Refugium has a 20 long that was converted. You might be able to email Marc for the dimensions of the baffles that were used.

If you aren't comfortable doing it yourself, check with your LFS to see if they can lend an assist, or look to see if there is a local club who has a member that might be able to help you out.

20 gallon nano-reef torn down to make way for the 40B Reef. I also have two 5 gallon fresh
dmolavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:19 AM   #13
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion
I agree with everyone. I too was scared to make my first sump, bought one of the aqueon ones and was totally unhappy with how it was all laid out. Once I upgraded, grabbed a 20 long from a Petco dollar a gallon sale and went to town. Lowes will cut the glass to size for you, making it even easier! All I did was get the tank, pre-cut glass, silicone, and some old magazines. Used the magazines and tape to hold the one divider up for the bubble trap and waited for it to dry. Next day, took them out and put the rest of the dividers in. Is really easy. Making your own sump and PVC plumbing are the 2 most common things people see as too hard when new to the hobby, once you get your feet wet you can do it a million times over. Try it, we're here to help if you need anything.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:54 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak
Just made one for my new rimless build. A 55gallon with 3 compartments. Had to replace the side pane with untempered glass because I'm running an external pump and have to drill it.

It's super easy . Made a 180 g sump for my 800g tank too. As long as you get your measurements right And leave a little less than a 16th to fit the glass partitions in, pretty straight forward.
audifusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:03 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist
Good thread !! Question when u make the dividers are u to use 2 pieces of glass say 1/2 apart?? That's what I get from pics posted.
bird33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:10 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Maybe I'm just the lazy type, I certainly am not a do it yourself kinda gal, but I have two sumps running with NO baffles. lol

No refugiums, but I dont really put that much stock into the macro idea, just my opinion and experince, but to get a real benefit from one I think it has to be very very large. Not practical in my mind for a smaller tank, I;m thinking its a good thing when you have a 55g sump and have a good amount of room for it.
But back to the sump, I know you are supposed to have baffles to avoid micro bubbles from the skimmer but I have not had any issue on either tank. I use eshopps protein skimmers btw. The baffles can also keep the water level in the sump level, but I have an automatic top off setup on the sumps and that keeps the levels straight and on target.
Just my two cents lol
180g Reef - 60g Rimless Reef -90G FOWLR- 125g Malawi Cichlids- 40b REEF- 34g Fresh Planted-working on- 20L FOWLR- working on
I have a mix of many different saltwater fish amongst my tanks, but I love my Tangs most of all.
carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:41 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Yes, if you don't use partitions of any kind, the water level in the return area will fluctuate (unless you use an auto top-off like Carey mentioned), the algae will probably make it's way to the return pump and clog it or end up in pieces in the DT, and you may see microbubbles in the display.
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:28 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Like hank said earlier, sumps are a little intimidating at first trying to grasp and understand bubble traps,return pumps etc,.... Once you kind of figure out the concept it's pretty straight forward and easily designed and setup ,.but ,there's a lot of pre made sumps out there that are excellent , maybe you may choose this route for your current setup eliminating the doubt about building your own,...when I bought my current acrylic tank I also decided to purchase a acrylic sump also which matched up beautifully for the setup I had in mind, ( that's when I had a few extra bucks on hand ! ).. If i ever needed another sump i would prob surely build my own,... The downside to buying a premade sump is that they are usually rather pricey and you can not easily modify them to your current situation ,. Like I want to use this bubble magus skimmer but the first section isn't big enough etc.
Either way it's a nice place to hide all the skimmer,heaters etc ,... Good luck which ever way you go !!!
Dary421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:30 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Check this out.
Eshopps RS-75 Reef Sump - Up to 75 gallons - 18 in. x 10 in. x 16 in. by Eshopps http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001K5JGCM/..._ZMIftb1C4TWAR
60 Gallon SPS dominated reef tank.
MarinaClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:37 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I would personally pay the $130 to get the sump delivered to my door and call it a day. Not into DYI.

MarinaClown is offline   Reply With Quote

5 gallon, 75 gallon, gallon, refugium, refugiums, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com