Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-24-2014, 01:31 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Need Refugium/Sump for 75 Gallon

Hello!

I have an up and running 75 gallon FOWLR hoping for corals eventually.

Well I have a nitrate problem and have read about sumps/refugiums...pretty confused at this point...Are there any places online I can buy the whole thing? I've seen buying a refugium and putting a sump in it, something about wet/dry...diy...I'm lost.

I don't want to DIY without some detailed instructions, can't drill since tank is already going...I'm just confused about the products and need a shopping list, lol! Couldn't find any good detailed threads...

Sent from my BNTV400 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 02-24-2014, 01:10 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can buy pre-made sumps, yes. They're expensive. Or, you can get a 40 breeder for cheap, get glass cut and make your own for < $60. (not counting the cost of pumps, skimmers, return pump, etc) There are lots of how-tos here and on YouTube on sump design and construction.
WRT drilling, you would need a HOB overflow.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:06 PM   #3

Ugh...I'm afraid to build one...not good with diy. Is this good for a 75 gallon?CPR AQUAFUGE2 PS LG Refugium Protein Skimmer w Light | eBay or any other suggestions?
Old 02-25-2014, 08:39 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's not a sump, that's a hang-on fuge/maybe skimmer (if you're looking at the PS model). Good I suppose if you don't want to drill.

CPR AquaFuge 2 Hang-on Refugium has the "Pro", which is sump/fuge. You could use an Eshopps overflow for this if you don't want to drill your tank.

If you're leery on building one, check the designs here (and elsewhere like Reefcentral, etc), get glass cut at a Home Depot, and your LFS might do the panel insertion/sealing for you.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:46 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

You don't really have to do anything special at all for a sump if you don't want. For my 20g reef I just have an unmodified 10g tank underneath with all of my equipment, macro algae, and necessary pumps. Doing it this way however does keep you from easily running a skimmer. It's not a difficult thing to do at all.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:50 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes, if all you are looking for is a fuge to grow macro and not run a skimmer, a 20/30 would be more than enough, and would need zero mods.

I have a 10 that I was going to use for my 20, but my wife is riding my butt to get a bigger tank, so I guess I'm going to move that way. Oh shucks
Old 02-25-2014, 09:23 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Do you have a skimmer? A oversized skimmer will be a big help. I think people put too much faith in algae.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:28 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
Do you have a skimmer? A oversized skimmer will be a big help. I think people put too much faith in algae.
Would you suggest a 2 chamber design (big skimmer and return section separated by baffles) vs a 3 chamber that includes macro?
Old 02-25-2014, 10:44 AM   #9

Mr. X, I have a coralife 65 protein skimmer that came with the tank. I'm hoping to get a bigger skimmer to put in sump and get rid of this one.
Dmolavi, I'm a blonde and can't seem to find a good easy thread on here about building a sump/refugium...could you point me in the right direction. I just want to do it right the first time! Would be nice to have directions like: you'll need a 20 gallon breeder tank, a 12" x 10" and 12" x 8" pieces of glass, aquarium silicone, eheim 500gph ph, 4' 1/2" tubeing etc, etc... lol!

I do hope to put the skimmer in the sump.

Sent from my BNTV400 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 02-25-2014, 08:16 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Those SS65's are junk IMO. I wouldn't run one of them on a 30 gallon.
I would definitely invest in a much better skimmer.
If you are considering adding a sump fed by a HOB overflow (I saw that you couldn't drill the tank, so this is the only way besides HOB equipment) You must first decide where you are putting this sump.
If it's inside the stand, a 20 long is probably the largest tank you'll be able to fit. Buy the 20 long, and take it to a glass shop and tell them to make 3 partitions for it, and they only need to sand one edge (the other 3 will be glued in and will not be a hazard).
All three pieces are to be the same size, and you probably want them to be about 8"-10" tall. You will figure out the optimal height when choosing your skimmer and finding out it's water depth requirement.
Measure the inside of the tank and if you can fit it (inside dimension would have to be more than 11.42") , I would get this skimmer-
Bubble Magus BM 220A Protein Skimmer Brand New | eBay

If you cannot, then I would get this one-
Bubble Magus BM 180A Protein Skimmer Brand New | eBay

Of course you would need some aquarium silicone. First section will be intake- skimmer and maybe room for a filter sock.
Second section would be a refugium, and the last section would be where your return pump will go.
The last section must be large enough to fit your return pump. A mag 7, 9.5 or Eheim 1262 should be fine pumps for a 75 gallon tank. You will have to get an overflow rated for a little less than the pump you choose, or vice versa.

Tags
5 gallon, 75 gallon, gallon, refugium, refugiums, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com