Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-24-2011, 07:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Need Some Advice

Hey guys,

I'm currently running my first tank. It's a 60 gallon, just like the standard 55 just a bit higher. It has 60 lbs. of LR, 40 lbs. of LS, 6 nassarius snails, 1 remaining peppermint shrimp after my snails feasted on the other two, and one yellow watchmen goby. Water parameters are in check and the livestock seems to be healthy and happy. I plan on adding more fish in the next few months, but before doing so, there are many things I still need to get.

-Skimmer (I'm planning on a Octopus HOB with no sump as I anticipate upgrading in tank size within a year or two)

-Lighting (I'm probably gonna go HOT5 as I'll eventually get some soft corals, zoas, mushrooms, and other beginner corals)

-Powerhead (not sure of the amount of flow I'll need for a 60 G)

-Additional CUC

-Base Rock

-Auto-Top Off

If you guys could give me some suggestions on the order I should go about buying these things I would appreciate it. Something to put into consideration is that I'm 15 and on a tight budget. Thanks for your time

-Ben

Old 02-24-2011, 09:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

How long has the tank been running? If its been running for 1-2 months you probably could add some more Clean-up crew whenever you want as long as the water parameters are good. You could also add more rock but this could set off a new cycle if its not cured. If its from an established tank you should have no worries. What is your current lighting or do you have any? Even a compact fluorescent can handle zoa's, mushrooms/ricordea, anthelia or kenya tree corals. Hope that helps a few of your questions!

Old 02-24-2011, 09:14 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Water params are good. For lighting all I gave is a small lighting strip that was on my 10 g freshwater. I'm looking into icecap T5 ballasts
Old 02-25-2011, 07:06 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

My tank has been running for about 1 1/2 months.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com