need some advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

george9617

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just purchased a 90 gallon and I'm dreading going back and forth for RO water. Before the 90 I had a 30 with a 10 gallon sump which had an algae scrubber. My question is can I just use tap water with a bigger scrubber to keep algae out of the display tank and save money. Also have fresh phosban to add.

ForumRunner_20130101_211549.jpg

Really don't recommend using tap water at all. If it was FOWLR then it wouldn't be much of a problem aside from the algae. For a reef tank it's definitely not ideal b/c of the high TDS and unknown substances in the water.

Also need to add in my new setup the sump will have two HO t5s and display will have basic t5s to keep stronger light source in sump. Unless I'm missing something this should work right?

TDS stands for Total Dissolved Solids and is measured in parts per million. Water from an RO unit with DeIonization will be almost a reading of 0ppm TDS. My tap water comes out at 500ppm TDS.

Well in the sump are you using the T5s for a refugium? Best to use a 5000-6500K (heard lower K rating is better for growth). A simple CFL bulb from home depot works. TDS is total dissolved solids. It should be okay for a FOWLR tank, but you're going to be in a major battle with the algae and the phosban reactor isn't going to completely solve the problem.

I kinda just didn't want my old light to go to waste, my last setup had two 100 watt 6500 k .I'll prob by like 2 more. And I'll put HOs for display with reg T5s. I think I'm gonna just break down and get the ro water .anyone know if that's eough display for a nem?

4 T5 HO bulbs might even be too little. 6 is ideal for anemones. They require high lighting. You might be able to keep some mushrooms with a couple T5s, but not much else.

Aww bummer well thanks for ur time I guess I'll go nemless

Yeah nems are awesome, but in addition to high lighting they need a mature tank of 6-8 months old. Since you're going FOWLR, thought I'd mention that urchins are good for cleaning up algae (of course covering up the problem) and they are one of the few inverts that can live in a FOWLR tank.

Yeah nems are awesome, but in addition to high lighting they need a mature tank of 6-8 months old. Since you're going FOWLR, thought I'd mention that urchins are good for cleaning up algae (of course covering up the problem) and they are one of the few inverts that can live in a FOWLR tank.

Stable params and light only requirement for anemones i have a rbt in my tank after only 2 months of setting up it is doin fine stability is key i also have acros and linkia everything is fine

Stable params and light only requirement for anemones i have a rbt in my tank after only 2 months of setting up it is doin fine stability is key i also have acros and linkia everything is fine

But you must be able to keep stable params but this should be done regardless of what your keeping

Back
Top Bottom