Need some advice!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KatieKontak

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was hoping to set up a ten gallon for dwarf seahorses but I'm thinking about maybe doing that later on and starting with a 20 gallon FOWLR. I can get a filter, heater, aquarium, stand and everything. I was wondering if I would need a protein skimmer on this size, though I've read you only need though on 30 gallons or larger? Also, would I need a singular power head or more? Is there anything else other than the basics to start salt that I would need?

I started with a 20g reef tank myself. It isn't a bad plan to go that direction first. I would love to have some seahorses but they are INCREDIBLY hard to keep alive in an aquarium, and they need a very well established tank as well.

How much experience do you have with keeping fish?

If you are going a 20g FOWLR I would keep at least 2 if not 3 powerheads in a tank. I keep a 10g refugium on top of my 20g tank just to stabilize things a little bit more. Going smaller isn't easier in fish keeping, and it is especially hard on saltwater tanks. I would definitely suggest getting the largest tank you can as it will keep levels from fluctuating quite as much.

A filter isn't necessary as long as you have ample water flow and a good amount of live rock in a tank. For a protein skimmer, I run one on my tank; but since I've had it since I started the tank I couldn't tell you how big of a difference it makes.

For other equipment I would suggest a master saltwater test kit, refractometer / hydrometer, and a small heater and air pump / powerhead to mix your salt.

You wont need a skimmer on a 20 as long as you keep the bio load lite a pair of Oc. clowns and maybe a clown goby and a fire fish you can add a cupple more but thats pushing it For water movement i'd use a korila 550 or a 750 I run a 750 in my 20 long
You'll want around 17-25 lbs of rock you can use base as it will become live as you cycle the tank

I've been keeping freshwater for quite a while and I'm hoping to move on to salt.

My plan is to get a twenty gallon (or if I can get a bigger one on Craigslist I can try for that), have a Hob filter to rub purigen or any type of media I would need to add, two powerheads, a heater, and I would like about 15 pounds of dead rock at 5 pounds of live. I'm going to cycle with the raw shrimp. I'm looking at a couple different fish on live aquaria, filefish, gobies, clowns, etc. I plan on feeding NLS marine pellets and would like recommendations on the type of frozen y'all use. I'm hoping to get the tank in about two months or so and start cycling but I've got to convince my girlfriend to let me. If I can get a good deal of Craigslist with proper lightning, what is a good coral to start with? Also, I've been doing research for months and will continue doing so!

Sorry that was so long!

I have 2 Osc. clowns and a firefish in my 20g. I would probably add a fourth at most, I was looking at a Bicolor Blenny.

As for a starter coral I would definitely suggest Zoanthids or Mushrooms. They tend to be very easy to care for.

Back
Top Bottom