Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-10-2007, 10:06 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

About 2 clowns would max you out IMO, liveaquaria has a good section of nano fish to check out as well. The bigger the tank the easier it will be to maintain the water quality.

Old 03-10-2007, 10:09 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It sounds like you are looking to keep fish only in the 75g tank. You must decide what you're going to keep, fish only, fish and corals. That will determine the equipment you'll need. If you haven't bought the hydrometer purchase a refractometer instead. Hopefully you got the strong message above and will not cycle with fish. Not only a waste of money but also abusive to the fish.

Old 03-10-2007, 10:20 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Hydrometers are ok to work with..Mine is accurate to .001 I've had it tested against a refractometer so saying that they are all bad is incorrect. I think you just got ahold of a bad one or a couple of bad ones as it were. Vash, if you are going for a FOWLR then you will be better off getting the 75g, it will give you more options for fish then one of the smaller tanks you mentioned. My personal experience is that damsels can cause problems, become agressive and just make your other fish unhappy! If you like the size of those fish look into the green or blue chromis they are much more peaceful and a lot of fun to watch as they school nicely!
Old 03-10-2007, 10:21 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to pph_2ppr
how do you catch the fish in the first place?
Old 03-10-2007, 10:26 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Do what? What do you mean how do you catch the fish in the first place?
Old 03-10-2007, 10:44 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I guess all 3 of mine were bad :/ Either way, I dont trust them after my and my friends experiences. Nothing against you.
Old 03-10-2007, 10:52 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I didn't mean it like that at all Marc....I just don't want Vash to think there is only one way to check his/her water! I've learned a lot in this hobby but the one thing that keeps coming up is that not everything works for everyone! I just want that point made that is all....
Old 03-10-2007, 10:55 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

No worries! Thats what I figured

I just had a friends tank take a dump cause his SG was .035, im supprised his rock didnt float!

Id also say to make sure you keep the hydrometer clean so no dried salt weighs the arm down ( if a swingarm ).
Old 03-10-2007, 11:10 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I"m thinking i want to go with FOWLR. What all will i need, i will price all the items seperate on Monday ie. the tank, substrate, stand and canopy and see what is cheaper. I like the look of LR instead of just having a tank with just drift wood and the like in it.
Old 03-10-2007, 11:19 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Depending on cured/un-cured LR is about $4 a lb average id say, you would want 1-1.5 lbs per gallon if you want to use it as a bio filter. I prefer sand over CC as a substrate. You will also want a skimmer IMO good for all tanks.

Tank
Sand
LR
Heater(s)
Powerheads
Lights
Liquid test kit
hydrometer/refractometer
thermometer
skimmer
and.....water :P

I think thats it to get it going...

You also dont need lights during the cycle. Im just looking over at one of my tanks and typing stuff off so I could be forgetting some things...

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com