Need Some Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vash612584

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Lately I have been thinking about setting up a saltwater tank. I have 3 fresh water tanks that have been up and running for over a 18 months. I have been looking at getting a 75 gallon tank kit at my local pet store with a stand and canopy. Instead of using the filter and heater that they include I was going to get the following equipment:

#1: FilStar Canister Filters XP3 FilStar Canister Filter
#2: Top Light Heater 300W
#3: Hydrometer 1.000 to 1.030 specific gravity

Other than the basics for setting up a new tank what else will i need other than salt? I was also told at the local petco that if I were to set up a tank of this size that i should set the tank up, getting the temperature and salinity perfect, let it sit for 24 hours and then add 10 damsels to cycle the tank. For some reason that doesn't seem right to me. Any suggestions for a saltwater newbie?

Don't cycle with live fish! There are quite a few links to read & see what all you will need & how to cycle without live fish. The people around here are a great help. I just started my cycle 3 days ago, so I'll let others help ya out.

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
As mentioned, there are some great articles on this site about getting started. You may be able to get by a bit cheaper by just purchasing the tank and stand locally and orfering most of the other hardware online.

1. I would skip the canister filter and rely on good biological filtration (LR and LS) with good skimming for the majority of your filtration needs. You can add a HOB or better yet a sump to aid in more biofiltration as well as mechanical and chemical filtraion.

2. I would go with two 200watt heaters. If one fails you will have a back-up in the tank.

3. a swing arm hydrometer will work to start with, but make sure you have the LFS verify the reading with a refractometer. they are notorious for not being too accurate.

WELCOME TO AA!!!!!!!!!!!
OK FIRST DO NOT DO WHAT YOU WERE TOLD AT PETCO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That is absolutely the wrong way to do things you will kill those fish!!

Here...read these articles they will get you on your way.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/article_cat.php?fldAuto=2/

After you have read that you will need to decide what you are going to put in your tank. When you figure that out we will be able to help you out a lot more!!

IMO hydrometers dont even work to start with! Today actually I tested my water with both a swing arm hydrometer and my refractometer and the hydrometer was off by nearly 7 points!!! Thats enough to make me recommend refractometers to everyone with a hydrometer.

Same thing with my buddys floating hydrometer off by about 5 points.

JMHO.

OK FIRST DO NOT DO WHAT YOU WERE TOLD AT PETCO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
In this situation it is very poor advice. Unfortunantly, many LFS still hand out this very out-dated and cruel method to cycle a tank. Do your research and review the article in the section above about fishless cycing.

ok i read the article on fishless cycling after posting, I was looking to start off with some clowns and yellow tailed blue damsels. I was doing some research into some tanks and stumbled upon the JBJ nano cubes. What are you guys' thoughts on those?

I have a JBJ 12gal nano deluxe. It is a good "all-in-one" system. They also make a 24gal model. Aquapod and Oceanic make these systems as well. The down side to getting a smaller system is that they are a bit harder to control water parameters, especially for a first tank. However, with careful research and good old fashion time it can be accomplished. My only suggestion is to ditch the "bio-media" (ceramic rings, sponges and bioballs) supplied with the tank in favor of LR rubble. I have a few pics of my nano in my gallery. If at all possible, the 754 would be a very good starter tank, however, much more $$$ to get going. Keep reading and keep asking questions a AA!

The 24 gallon was the one i was looking at on there site. How good would something like that be for a beginner in saltwater, and how many fish would i be able to house in that after adding some Lr Or coral. Here is the one in particular i am looking at: JBJ Nano Cube 24 Gal DELUXE DX with LED

About 2 clowns would max you out IMO, liveaquaria has a good section of nano fish to check out as well. The bigger the tank the easier it will be to maintain the water quality.

It sounds like you are looking to keep fish only in the 75g tank. You must decide what you're going to keep, fish only, fish and corals. That will determine the equipment you'll need. If you haven't bought the hydrometer purchase a refractometer instead. Hopefully you got the strong message above and will not cycle with fish. Not only a waste of money but also abusive to the fish.

Hydrometers are ok to work with..Mine is accurate to .001 I've had it tested against a refractometer so saying that they are all bad is incorrect. I think you just got ahold of a bad one or a couple of bad ones as it were. Vash, if you are going for a FOWLR then you will be better off getting the 75g, it will give you more options for fish then one of the smaller tanks you mentioned. My personal experience is that damsels can cause problems, become agressive and just make your other fish unhappy! If you like the size of those fish look into the green or blue chromis they are much more peaceful and a lot of fun to watch as they school nicely!

I guess all 3 of mine were bad :/ Either way, I dont trust them after my and my friends experiences. Nothing against you.

I didn't mean it like that at all Marc....I just don't want Vash to think there is only one way to check his/her water! I've learned a lot in this hobby but the one thing that keeps coming up is that not everything works for everyone! I just want that point made that is all....

No worries! Thats what I figured :)

I just had a friends tank take a dump cause his SG was .035, im supprised his rock didnt float!

Id also say to make sure you keep the hydrometer clean so no dried salt weighs the arm down ( if a swingarm ).

I"m thinking i want to go with FOWLR. What all will i need, i will price all the items seperate on Monday ie. the tank, substrate, stand and canopy and see what is cheaper. I like the look of LR instead of just having a tank with just drift wood and the like in it.

Depending on cured/un-cured LR is about $4 a lb average id say, you would want 1-1.5 lbs per gallon if you want to use it as a bio filter. I prefer sand over CC as a substrate. You will also want a skimmer IMO good for all tanks.

Tank
Sand
LR
Heater(s)
Powerheads
Lights
Liquid test kit
hydrometer/refractometer
thermometer
skimmer
and.....water :p

I think thats it to get it going...

You also dont need lights during the cycle. Im just looking over at one of my tanks and typing stuff off so I could be forgetting some things...

Back
Top Bottom