Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-07-2010, 10:11 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Need some advice on a new system.

I have had a Bio-Cube 29G for 2 weeks now and I am having some troubles. I will start from the beginning this was what my LFS told me to do. Started with live sand and rock with water from LFS put in a cycle boost waited 3 days then took a sample of water to them. LFS said I could could go ahead and put some fish in so two clown's, fire shrimp, and a few cleaners went in (from what I have read I now no that was probably a bad idea)after a few more days went back to LFS said my levels where good so I added a Watchmen goby and emerald crab aka (The Hulk) I have since lost the emerald crab. I did a 5G water change yesterday. MY levels seem to be all over the place when I test them.
PH 8.1
Nitrates 10-20
Nitrites 1.0 These Levels are my latest they have kind of jumped around.
Ammonia 0.25
Temp between 80 to 82
33 lbs LR
30 lbs LS
Added Protein Skimmer and UV sterilizer.

I do not intend on putting anything else in the tank until everything is under control I feel I have probably overloaded it and stressed the fish. I wish I could start over but yet here we are.

broney7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:45 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to catmel
The tank is still cycling because of the large amount of livestock added so quickly. Do some more water changes to bring the ammonia and nitrite down a bit. You may need to do daily water changes until the cycle is over ( which may take a few weeks). Keep a very close eye on the parameters and keep them as stable as possible ( salinity, temp etc)

As you said, dont add anything more for a while, take it slow. In a tank that size I probably wouldnt add any more fish.. CUCs will be ok, but only after the cycle and when everything's stabilized.

75 Gallon Saltwater Reef

Just your average LVT (licenced vet tech) trying to help the world's animals!!
- Melinda
catmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:13 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to pat8you
Since you added live sand and live rock this will help with your cycle so i don't think it will take the full couple of weeks but you will have to keep a very close eye on your water parameter and do plenty of water changes as advised above. Watch your cleaner shirmp and fire shrimp carefully they will be the first to show signs of stress.
pat8you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:32 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
is there no way you could take your stock back to lfs for a while until your tank is ready
Old Chinese proverb:
Don't go to bed with ichy bum
wake up with smelly finger!!
David S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:53 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie
My fire shrimp molted within the first week of having him he seems to move around pretty good. He does have some black spots and I have read that is a phenomenon that happens during the molting process and there is not much I can do. If that is wrong please advise. Checked Nitrite today it is under 1.0 my Nitrates are between 5-10 and ammonia still at .25 so a little better today. I plan on doing a PWC tomorrow.
broney7 is offline   Reply With Quote

stem, system

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com