Need some advice please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ASpec

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 58 gallon Reef Ready Oceanic. I got a great deal on this tank so being reef ready had nothing to do with my purchase.

Don't flame me here please, this is where it get's interesting. I already have a marine tank so I'm going to make this tank a FW planted. I posted this same question in the FW forums but it was suggested I post on the SW forums as well since you folks would have more experience in the "Reef Ready" area...

To make a long story short, I can't really utilize the overflow box on this tank so I though about doing something more drastic, which is where I need some advice please...

The overflow box could easily be removed, since it's just held in place by silicone, and it's centered in the tank - not worried about hurting the actual aquarium seal. This would leave me 2 bulkheads on the bottom floor of the tank.

I would insert both bulkheads but cap off the larger bulkhead under the tank, which was the drain bulkhead. Then I would plumb the return bulkhead into my canister filter return, paint a piece of PVC black, Y it out about 6" to 10" from surface and have it as my custom flow return.

Is this a feasible plan? Do you see any reason why this would not work, or why I should not attempt something like this? Throw some ideas around... let me know what you think please.

Thanks!

it would work fine but when you had to clean your canister im shure the water would be a big hasle to stop draining down or at least not to make a big mess every time, why not just get a sump and fun it like that im shure you would like it better and have a ezier time with it,but if you insist on using the canister leave the overflow box and just plump the drain and return to the canister then the surface skum would drain in to the filter too,i also dont think painting anything in your tank is a good plan

Back
Top Bottom