Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-07-2013, 09:11 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Need some advice with my 90 Gal having a sudden nitrite spike.

Ok long story short this tank a couple months ago was high-end brackish. I've slowly been converting it with some of my original stock over to full marine. I finally reached 1.024 about 2 weeks ago now. My water tests have been coming back perfect since I started. No spike in ammonia, nitrates, nitrites nothing. For a while thought the conversion was slow enough I managed to slip through the cracks on cycling it. Woke up this morning and did my tests as I do everyday since I started this little project. My nitrites where between .5 and 1 ppm nitrates where 4 ppm and ammonia was at1. I just did a 20% water change three days ago and add some live rock. I also added instant oceans bio-spira now my question is would the bio-spira have done this or would thelive rock have done this or. Also what can I do about it I have about 20 gallons of salt water mixing right now so thats a 20% changee.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:39 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Curious, what stock are you keeping?

55 Gallon, DIY Live Rock, 2 Taotronics 130w LEDs, CPR HOB skimmer and refugium, 525 GPH SunSun 5-stage Canister with UV Sterilizer using Chemi-pure Elite, and Two Fishes GFO reactor and 3 800 GPH powerheads. <><
San Raphael Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:28 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Raphael Catfish View Post
Curious, what stock are you keeping?
I am keeping my two knight gobies, violet gobie, my banded archer, mono, and Columbian shark.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:34 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think the nitrifying bacteria are different for brackish and marine. I would expect a cycle after getting to marine range. I don't know a lot about brackish but I know fresh and marine bacteria are completely different.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:10 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Don't worry too much nitrites are not nearly as toxic in freshwater as they are in saltwater. Just give it time and do a few water changes.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:44 AM   #6
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

In all honesty, the bio-sparta stuff shouldn't do much. Some people rave about it, but there has to be a short shelf life on the stuff...and around us there isn't much of a pool that would use it all the time and would most def be expired. What you are seeing now is the cycle into saltwater, since the bacteria in the nitrate cycle are different, probably fueled by die off from the live rock. That is if it was live rock rather than macro or base rock, sometimes people call it all live even though there isn't any bacteria on it to make it "live". If you are lucky, the bottle of bio-sparta was still good and it'll kick the cycle over quickly. Hope that helps and gl with converting those guys to salt.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:20 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thank you all for the advice I haven't been in a bit but the ammonia is down nitrites are still up a bit and nitrates are starting to spike a bit. I'm hoping this means i got lucky and the cycle is almost done. No dead fish everyone seems happy and full of life. Oh there was almost one. i had someone buy me a condy anemone and two clarkiis but. Refused to let them go back to Petco so, they are now happy as can be in a friends 10gal nano reef till my tank cycles and is safe for them.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:04 AM   #8
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I'd think twice about an anemone so soon. Generally, 6 months is what has been recommended to make sure parameters are stable. But, I get the impression this isn't your first song and dance with aquariums, so I don't really think I have to say to be careful and to watch it closely... My concern would be more of the lighting you have over your tank. Anemones require some strong lighting. I made a similar mistake, also with a condy, early in my sw keeping. I tried to keep it under a 4 bulb t5ho on my 36 gallon and failed. Usually lighting over freshwater tanks is pretty weak, or when it comes to say planted tanks utilizes different spectrums than we use in sw.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:14 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

The anemone was a gift because I mentioned "eventually" doing a memo tank for my son that didn't know. But in my opinion he is happy in his little reef and far better off than at deathco. The anemone and clowns are safe hanging out in my buddys year old reed tank for now and in about six months or so i will retrieve him or replace if my friend is to attached lol.

Actually though this is my first run with marine at least anything more than a couple humbugs and a tang in a 20 longs fish only tank. But the ace up my sleeve is the wonderful forums ran here and at aquaria central. You all have such amazing and informative advice i spend ar least a couple hours a day reading through and learning. And my best friend runs a small lfs, he is more into his cichlids but does run a few salt tanks at home. But he gets most of his information from here too lol. I have been reading and planning this for going on 9 months now. I don't want to risk my fish anymore than necessary.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:16 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RClever82 View Post
The anemone was a gift because I mentioned "eventually" doing a memo tank for my son that didn't know. But in my opinion he is happy in his little reef and far better off than at deathco. The anemone and clowns are safe hanging out in my buddys year old reed tank for now and in about six months or so i will retrieve him or replace if my friend is to attached lol.

Actually though this is my first run with marine at least anything more than a couple humbugs and a tang in a 20 longs fish only tank. But the ace up my sleeve is the wonderful forums ran here and at aquaria central. You all have such amazing and informative advice i spend ar least a couple hours a day reading through and learning. And my best friend runs a small lfs, he is more into his cichlids but does run a few salt tanks at home. But he gets most of his information from here too lol. I have been reading and planning this for going on 9 months now. I don't want to risk my fish anymore than necessary.
Sorry about all the type-o's trying to type on my phone doesn't always work the best.

Tags
advice, nitrite, spike

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com